• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    Looking into building my first AR. Lots of questions here. Building a AR pistol in 300Blk to get me by until my SBR stamp comes through. I like high quality and don't want to be sidelined with parts failure, but also don't want to spend money needlessly that could go towards ammo/practice time.

-Upper and lower differences; is it worth spending more money and buying a 'matched set' or is a plain Jane from Palmetto just as good?

- Lower Parts Kits; are all the springs and small parts made in the same factory or do you actually gain quality by going with a 'better' brand?

-Tools needed? I am an auto technician by trade so only speciality tools here

-BCG; Any practical reason to go with anything more expensive than a full auto spec?

That is all that I can think of for th moment. I am sure that I will come up with more questions.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    There may be small variations on brands of receivers, if you choose to go PSA route that is your choice but certainly wouldn't be mine. Yes their parts are ok but customer service is horrible and their wait times are ridiculously slow. I have not been able to tell much difference in mil spec LPK's. Special tools will be lower vice block, upper vice block(if you choose to build your upper or do any work to it), armorers wrench. BCG's very as well, stay with a decent brand, it is not necessary to go NiBor but they are nice and don't require as much lube as standard BCG's.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    Functional not really other than most have a larger trigger guard area but a standard forged can be remedied with a $9 magpul poly enhanced trigger guard or $18 for their aluminum one, which I would recommend getting either. I run their cheaper poly one with no problems.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Ok stay away from PSA. Got it. Are there any FUNCTIONAL difference between forged and billet?

This kind of advice is maddening.

Do you suppose that long wait times might be because they make a good product that lots of people want to buy?

If enough people stay away, PSA goes away.

OP, you and I will never see any difference between the two.

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    Yeah I expected differing oppinions but not polar opposites lol. Great thing about a public forum.

I should have put some more info in my original post. My long range rifle is a POF .308 20" and my AR is a M&P15 so I guess I am used to mid-premium rifles. I am running the Noveske 10" match 300blk barrel, so I am not afraid to spend money, I just don't like spending it needlessly.
    I hope that can clear some things up an gives better direction as to what parts you may recommend

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    This kind of advice is maddening.

Do you suppose that long wait times might be because they make a good product that lots of people want to buy?

If enough people stay away, PSA goes away.

OP, you and I will never see any difference between the two.

My apologies if I upset you but I personally do not like PSA for more than their long wait times, I also stated their customer service is horrible too. I will pay a little more for better customer service. I stated their parts are, well ok, but they are not the best. That is my opinion and you are entitled to yours, but I mean no disrespect to anyone who does choose to do business with PSA.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    You have the essential piece, the good quality barrel.
    Any good quality upper and lower forgings will serve you well. Palmetto/DPMS/Anderson/RRA/etc. will have thier bashers and followers, but you can build a fine rifle with any of them. A milled upper or lower is more expensive because whoever made it, had to find it in a block of forged 7075 and leave lots of chips and cutters behind. A net shape forging is way more efficient to manufacture, and has no draw backs.
    LPK from any mil spec provider will serve you well.
    BCG - Higher end parts here will cost you very little more. Mag particle inspection is nice for bolts. I question the need for HPT, as one stressful round might tell you something is wrong as much as cause something to go wrong 100 regular rounds from now. YMMV. A bargain carrier group will cost you $90 and a premium $130, so this is one place you can "go wild", skip one dinner out and end up in the same place financially.
    As for tools, add a decent set of pin punches and a roll pin starter to the list already generated above.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    As the owner of a 10" Noveske 300BLK I would ask if
    1. you plan to buy (or already own) a .30 suppressor?
    2. you reload?
    3. you're building an SBR? (which it appears that you are)
    If the answer to more than 1 of these questions is "no," you may want to rethink 300BLK. My experience with 300BLK is that unless you have a suppressed SBR you're better off ballistically with an AK. IMO the "magic" with 300BLK happens with a suppressed SBR, and that's what I have. The problem is that subsonic 300BLK is expensive if you can even find it.
    Of course, simply wanting a 300BLK is a perfectly valid reason as well. :)

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    PSA is a solid company. Over the past 2 years I have placed 40+ orders through them for a total over $5k. The 2 times I've had to contact customer service they have been VERY helpful.

Their ship times are now at an all time best. The last order I placed was at my door 3 days later. If you check their order stat page on arfcom, you'll see that others are experiencing the same.

PSA parts are more than "just ok." I can say without a doubt that the PSA brand parts are of high quality and one of the best quality to dollar ratios of any AR parts manufacturer.

They are a small company that got very popular very fast. They did run into a couple hurdles but in any situation I have heard of, they always did their best to make it right.

I am currently working on my 6th AR and they all have PSA internals. Conservatively, I have put 10k+ rounds on their barrels, lowers, and LPKs. Thus far I have NOTHING to complain about. As long as they are in business I will continue to be a customer and will recommend them to anyone.

Matched upper/lower definitely not needed. Stripped lower from PSA is $50 and it's just as good as any Spike's/RRA/etc. Right now they also have a stripped upper with upper parts kit for $70.

The PSA MOE lpk is a great value. Stay away from PTAC. You could spend a lot more on a lpk but don't expect a noticeable ROI unless it's coming with a Geissele trigger or some other significant factor.

When shopping for a bcg, pay attention to the build materials. 8620 for the carrier, C158 for bolt, and a properly staked gas key.

There is nothing wrong with any of the "higher end" companies but you aren't losing anything by going the PSA route. If I had the money, I'd have a BCM, DD, or KAC. Not made of money though so I like my $$ to go a little further.

Last edited:

r.gray87

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Columbus
    I spent money on an FN barrel from Spikes, Geissele SSA Trigger and a NiB BCG. I have milspec versions of those parts on my other AR, there is a huge difference between the two, I will be buying NiB BCGs from now on. The trigger is wonderful, but pricey. The barrel holds good groups, but its chrome lined and I don't have magnified optics, so whether or not its sub-MOA (probably not and I don't much care if it is) I couldn't tell you.

Everything else, I attempted to find the best deals I could and spent time figuring out what I liked before spending money and replacing the parts.

I personally love PSA. I bought a complete upper from them, I was anxious and wanted it ASAP, but they quoted 15 business days, and they were right on the money, so no real complaints.

One last thing, I've also found that I really like my BCM Mod4 charging handle, I will buy those for all future builds as well.

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    As the owner of a 10" Noveske 300BLK I would ask if
    1. you plan to buy (or already own) a .30 suppressor?
    2. you reload?
    3. you're building an SBR? (which it appears that you are)
    If the answer to more than 1 of these questions is "no," you may want to rethink 300BLK. My experience with 300BLK is that unless you have a suppressed SBR you're better off ballistically with an AK. IMO the "magic" with 300BLK happens with a suppressed SBR, and that's what I have. The problem is that subsonic 300BLK is expensive if you can even find it.
    Of course, simply wanting a 300BLK is a perfectly valid reason as well. :)

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Yes
    Lol

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    One last thing, I've also found that I really like my BCM Mod4 charging handle, I will buy those for all future builds as well.

You might like the Rainier Arms Raptor Charging Handle too. In 2013 I purchased two Raptor Charging Handle on sale at $70 each. The Raptor is the best charging handle I have used.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...view-rainier-arms-raptor-charging-handle.html

Rainier Arms™ | Browse | Charging Handles | Rainier Arms Raptor Ambidextrous Charging Handle - 5.56MM

cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    So is there any special requirements for purchasing a complete upper? Like it having to go through an FFL? Is there a requirement for form 4473 to be filled out?

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    So is there any special requirements for purchasing a complete upper? Like it having to go through an FFL? Is there a requirement for form 4473 to be filled out?

No. The only part on an AR that has to go through an FFL or have a 4473 is the lower receiver. THAT is what is considered the firearm. Everything else can be delivered to your door.

jjtroy912

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2013
    Ft. W
    As for the receiver sets issue, I'm a big fan of Rainier Arms forged matched set. The most aesthetically pleasing I've found if you want forged. but functianally it's irrelevant. The lpk issue comes down to whether you want ambi safety and what kind of fcg you want. I like spikes enhanced, but am gonna keep trying different things. If you just want standard parts i think the psa is great. For tools, get a good barrel nut wrench (one that attaches to a torque wrench), a good armorers tool, vice blocks to hold the parts safely, some good punches, and masking tape. I do like the nickle boron bcg's too, but whatever. Good luck.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm getting close on having my parts together for a build. Just need some upper parts: gas tube, forward assist, ejection port cover, carry handle. A couple sling mounts, a Micro Sight and the vice block and armorers tool. If any of you have any of these, let me know.

I will post a WTB, but thought I'd add it to this discussion since we are talking about building!

My build is coming together faster than I thought. I keep finding sales and just can't pass them up, lol.

Top Bottom