• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NewsShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'm thinking about building my first AR (sort of). Not sure if I'm ready to take on the task of putting together an upper, but I want to try building a complete lower half and buying the upper already completed.

With that, I was wondering if these would be compatible:
    Lower receiver - Mega
    Complete upper - Stag

I guess the reason I ask is it is/was my understanding that you have? to match a mil-spec lower with a mil-spec upper. According to Stag's website it says their uppers are mil-spec, even though the vendor in the link doesn't list that specifically.

Lastly. Does anyone have experience with either of those brands? What do you think about the quality and value?

Thanks!

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I like Mega and stag parts. There should be no problem with fit, as those companies have a generally good rep with manufacturing to mil-spec.

There are some good kit deals if you want to get everything you need less lower that will be a little cheaper than sourcing each part individually.

Big 30

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Michigan
    I'm thinking about building my first AR (sort of). Not sure if I'm ready to take on the task of putting together an upper, but I want to try building a complete lower half and buying the upper already completed.

With that, I was wondering if these would be compatible:
    Lower receiver - Mega
    Complete upper - Stag

I guess the reason I ask is it is/was my understanding that you have? to match a mil-spec lower with a mil-spec upper. According to Stag's website it says their uppers are mil-spec, even though the vendor in the link doesn't list that specifically.

Lastly. Does anyone have experience with either of those brands? What do you think about the quality and value?

Thanks!
    Those are both are pretty good stuff.
    Try this link>>> Assemble your own LOWER, UPPER, FREE FLOAT, TRIGGER, GAS BLOCK - Step by step instructions! - AR15.COM

Read it good.. over and over.
    You will find out that the AR15 platform is one of the easiest and most versatile rifle designs out there to take on for a custom build and have fun with.

Good Luck...

NewsShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the help.

One more follow-up. On that Stag completed upper from the link...given the barrel is 16", the A2 flash hider shouldn't be permanently attached. Meaning it'll be an easy fix to toss a free-float tube onto it?

I've been over at ar15.com for the last two days. I think I have a grasp on some of the easy stuff...but I think most of the info and conversation goes into too much technical detail that's way over my head.

Big 30

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Thanks for the help.

One more follow-up. On that Stag completed upper from the link...given the barrel is 16", the A2 flash hider shouldn't be permanently attached. Meaning it'll be an easy fix to toss a free-float tube onto it?

I've been over at ar15.com for the last two days. I think I have a grasp on some of the easy stuff...but I think most of the info and conversation goes into too much technical detail that's way over my head.
    I think it would be save to say you are correct. Its not that it "Shouldn't" it is the case that the BATF does not require it. Some states maybe different though.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    the A2 flash hider shouldn't be permanently attached. Meaning it'll be an easy fix to toss a free-float tube onto it?

"Easy fix" includes removing the flash hider, gas tube, front sight base and barrel nut, installing the float tube, and reinstalling the front sight base, gas tube and flash hider. Not a big deal if you have the know-how and correct tools for the job.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Stag is good stuff. I built my AR on a Stag lower and was impressed with the fit and finish. My brother bought a Stag rifle on my advice and is very pleased with it.

NewsShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Indianapolis
    "Easy fix" includes removing the flash hider, gas tube, front sight base and barrel nut, installing the float tube, and reinstalling the front sight base, gas tube and flash hider. Not a big deal if you have the know-how and correct tools for the job.

Ah, ya...I was worried about something like this.

I think I remember seeing once someone (Troy?) makes a free-float that doesn't require you to do all that. Just clamp, tighten, and go. I don't remember for certain though. Or if anyone else makes one.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US

I think I remember seeing once someone (Troy?) makes a free-float that doesn't require you to do all that. Just clamp, tighten, and go. I don't remember for certain though. Or if anyone else makes one.

Daniel Defense makes the Omega rail, which free-floats but does not require any modifications to the gun (no removal of the flash hider, gas tube, front sight base or delta ring assy).

Daniel Defense, Inc | Browse | Omega Rail | Omega Rail™ 7.0 (Carbine)

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south

I have a Troy drop-in quad rail on my AR. You just take off the regular handguards, put the quad on, and screw it down. I don't know if they make one that is free float.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

Shooter521 mentioned the DD Omega. For less money, you could also go Midwest Industries MCTAR-20, which is a 2-piece free float.

20ky6go.jpg

wgvp6h.jpg

Midwest Industries MCTAR-20

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Shooter521 mentioned the DD Omega. For less money, you could also go Midwest Industries MCTAR-20, which is a 2-piece free float.

As an owner of that system (and the installer of the one esrice pictured) I will say that it is solid and relatively inexpensive, but a little on the wide/heavy side and a bit more complicated to install, requiring removal of the delta ring/spring assembly (Mr. Dremel is your friend).

It works.
    P1010086.jpg

NewsShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Indianapolis
    i also found these, the midlength's are on sale during Armalite's 12 days of Christmas, but the carbine length's are currently OOS. They look like they may be a good fit for the price.

I honestly just do not have the tools and expertise to do this myself. I can't trust myself to do it, heh.

Top Bottom