• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcole123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I’m looking to build an AR-10 for coyote hunting. I’m trying to stay on a budget less than $800. Ideally I’d like to purchase the parts separately and build it my self, but I’m not opposed to be rebuilt rifle. I’m looking for any advice anyone has as it’s my first time. I’ve heard good things about Palmetto State Armory, but I was wondering if someone had experience with one of their firearms. Thanks.

jcole123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Why AR-10?
    The biggest benefit of the AR-15 over the AR-10 from my understanding is size and weight. I’ve got open fields I like to hunt, so I typically have my rifle attached to a bipod that allows me to swivel so the weight is not a factor. I also prefer the .308 for hunting over 5.56 due to the larger round having more stopping power. I’m really just getting into ARs, most of my knowledge is from online research so I’d be glad if you can tell me if I got anything wrong. Thank you.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I've hunted coyotes for quite a few years now. The only reason I'm running an AR-10 platform is because I'm shooting a 6mm creedmoor. The only reason I'm running that caliber is because I'm hunting at night and I want to shoot as flat as possible because thermal scopes make judging distance difficult. If I was hunting during the day, I wouldn't be carrying that heavy gun out into the field. I shoot off a tripod, but it's still a pain to carry everything 500-1,500 yards to the stand.

308 is serious overkill for coyotes.

Are you building a day gun or a night gun?

jcole123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I've hunted coyotes for quite a few years now. The only reason I'm running an AR-10 platform is because I'm shooting a 6mm creedmoor. The only reason I'm running that caliber is because I'm hunting at night and I want to shoot as flat as possible because thermal scopes make judging distance difficult. If I was hunting during the day, I wouldn't be carrying that heavy gun out into the field. I shoot off a tripod, but it's still a pain to carry everything 500-1,500 yards to the stand.

308 is serious overkill for coyotes.

Are you building a day gun or a night gun?
    I tend to hunt early morning at dusk and evening into the sunset. I’m not rich so I’m trying to find a gun that can do it all lol. I enjoy hunting white tail, so I was hoping that I could use it to serve a dual purpose.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    If you're looking for dual purpose, I would suggest 6.5 grendel. Plenty of power, lighter recoil for faster follow-up shots, and easier to carry.

jcole123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2022
    Indianapolis
    If you're looking for dual purpose, I would suggest 6.5 grendel. Plenty of power, lighter recoil for faster follow-up shots, and easier to carry.
    I’ll look into it, I really appreciate your advice. I’ve got maybe 1-2 buddies that are hunters, but you ask anyone about help with firearms and they usually give you a funny look. It’s nice to have a place where people can share their knowledge.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

$283

$553

You'll need a BCG, CH, and a Stock. I think you'll like Aero Precision.

Like Rookie said 6.5 Grendel is a great all around caliber.

jcole123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2022
    Indianapolis

$283

$553

You'll need a BCG, CH, and a Stock. I think you'll like Aero Precision.

Like Rookie said 6.5 Grendel is a great caliber.
    I’ll look into them, I’m not sure I’ve heard of them. I’m not expecting too much out of a budget build, but I’m looking for something to get my foot in the door. I’ve also heard good things about 6.5 Grendel. Thank you.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I’ll look into them, I’m not sure I’ve heard of them. I’m not expecting too much out of a budget build, but I’m looking for something to get my foot in the door. I’ve also heard good things about 6.5 Grendel. Thank you.
    6.5 Grendel has basically the same ballistics as the 308 bullet drop wise. It's very accurate.
    I use Hornady 123gr SST, and Speer 90gr TnT. I reload them.
    I have used Hornady Black 123gr ELD match. They are also accurate rounds. All three are sub moa in my 6.5 Grendel.

jcole123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2022
    Indianapolis
    6.5 Grendel has basically the same ballistics as the 308 bullet drop wise. It's very accurate.
    I use Hornady 123gr SST, and Speer 90gr TnT. I reload them.
    I have used Hornady Black 123gr ELD match. They are also accurate rounds. All three are sub moa in my 6.5 Grendel.
    Thank you, I really appreciate all the help you and Rookie have been giving me.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I will throw in another vote for a look at the 6.5 Grendel. Its a great round for coyotes and also plenty for deer. If you want to plink with it, there is steel case ammo available for it. If you get into handloading its a very efficient round, that uses just a couple of grains more powder than a 223 to launch a bullet weighing twice as much. The AR-15 platform is just more maneuverable in the field.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    Look into 6mm ARC. Plenty of power for for deer and coyote, shoots very flat and runs on the smaller lighter AR-15 platform. Lots of info about it on Hornaday's youtube.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom