• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Lots of good AR's out there, and a few probably not so good. They are actually pretty easy to build yourslef, if you have basic mechanical aptitude and can follow instructions. If not, try to stick to well known brands and realize that often you will get what you pay for.

As far as optics...that all depends on the type of rifle you build, and how you want to use it. Generally longer range rifles will have longer barrels (say > 18") and usually those are coupled with a decent scope, typically in the 3-9x or 4-10x magnification, although you can go higher. Generaly shorter range carbines (say < 16") are used with less magnified optics, such as a red dot or even standard iron sights. Sometimes a low magnification optic such as a 1-4x works well also.

That said, you can run just about any combination you want of barrel lenght and optics, just realize that there are some better combinations than others. It all comes down to how you want to use the rifle.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Better yet, instead of being spoon fed, take some time and educate yourself.
    There is plenty of information already here on the forum.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good

Hahaha:thumbsup: ^This. Do you want to stick to the TDP? Do you care if your barrel is HP/MPI? What about your BCG? What is your budget? A nice Colt 6920 can be had right now for ~$900.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana

I didn't post this to be mean or anything but if you don't have some kind of idea of what you want or what is out there, these types of threads turn into nothing but confusion for you.

Read, research, read some more. Then ask questions.

jjtroy912

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2013
    Ft. W
    If you just wanna dive in, ... dive in. Go grab a colt or m&p and rock it for a while. Then you'll realize all the things you want to change and you can either start playing ar dress up, or build one up. The ar is not the biggest and baddest, or the smallest and fastest, it's just a good medium rifle. So the ar experience is good. Good luck

DFM914

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    Go get a S&W M&P15 Sporter for around $600. It is a great rifle out of the box. Learn to shoot it with open sights before going for optics. It is a very accurate and reliable rifle for a great experience in AR's.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I didn't post this to be mean or anything but if you don't have some kind of idea of what you want or what is out there, these types of threads turn into nothing but confusion for you.

Read, research, read some more. Then ask questions.
    We know how mean you can be Mike! :laugh:

Palmetto State is a great place to look for good parts at a great price, but like others have said, we need alot more info to help you out.

Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    Go get a S&W M&P15 Sporter for around $600. It is a great rifle out of the box. Learn to shoot it with open sights before going for optics. It is a very accurate and reliable rifle for a great experience in AR's.

^^ This. Being new to the AR world, I dont have any advice to offer. I am currently in savings mode to purchase the M&P 15 and furniture for it. From my research, its the best-bang-for-your-buck-starter AR, and its my next purchase.

dieselmudder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    United States

^^^^ this. im using mine as a test platform for all the accessories and modifications. when i get the combo i want figured out ill build from the ground up. and still have another AR complete in the safe..... ya know..... just in case

Top Bottom