AR Felt Recoil Difference? I'm stumped......

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Juday

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    After firing a few rounds this weekend through the AR, I couldn't help but notice the difference in the felt recoil between my AR (LMT MRP CQB16 Piston) and a buddies AR (Wilson Combat Recon Tactical). Now, I understand the .223 doesn't recoil much to begin with, but the difference between the two was very noticeable. The Wilson Combat had almost zero recoil, while mine tends to push a little harder and jump around more with consecutive shots. If anything I would have thought that the piston driven rifle would have less recoil, but apparently I was mistaken. The only thing that I can think of, that caused the difference, would be the difference between my A2 flash hider and his Accu-Tac flash hider. Now, for those much more experienced than myself, can any of you think of something I'm looking over?

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    standard vs H2 buffer? Semi auto BCG vs Full Auto BCG? Carbine vs middy vs rifle length gas system? They all can and do change felt recoil.

Juday

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    Ah, sorry, I should have elaborated more on the systems.

LMT - 16" barrel, semi-auto, no clue on the buffer (whatever it came with from the factory)
    lmtcqbps16.jpg

Wilson Combat - 16" fluted barrel, semi-auto, again no idea on the buffer (whatever it came with from the factory)
    Wilson-Combat-Recon-Tactical.jpg

Both guns look like the ones pictures above (with the exception of the Wilson not having any optics mounted to the top).

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    generally more reciprocating mass = more recoil, all else equal. of course there are a lot of variables. but that may be part of why your piston system 'kicks' a little more.

-rvb

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Piston rifles have more moving mass and more internal complexity.

They have more recoil. Like I keep telling people, they're sacrificing a lot to have a piston driven rifle unless they specifically need to deal with over-the-beach conditions.

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    Well, I am the lucky owner of the Wilson in question...

Here is what I can tell so far:

Buffers: both are standard per company literature (they could still be different)
    BCG: both are semi-auto (and both are actually LMT as well)
    gas systems: both look to be the same length, mid

The Wilson does not have a comp. It is just called a flash hider.

Next time we shoot them, we are going to swap lowers and see if the recoil follows the upper... If so, then I am thinking the piston is the difference. But other places I have read that a piston gun will have less felt recoil... If the recil stays with the lower, then we narrow it down to different buffers.

Mark

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    I've never shot a piston AR, but it is my understanding that piston ARs recoil "different". It's more of an elongated push than the small kick of a DI due to the mass. Though as stated by the others, many more variables could be in play.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    generally more reciprocating mass = more recoil, all else equal. of course there are a lot of variables. but that may be part of why your piston system 'kicks' a little more.

-rvb

This. More mass to get moving and more mass coming to a sudden stop.

SILVERBACK

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    MONROVIA
    I have owned a couple piston guns, Barrett REC 7 and Ruger 5-56, the Ruger was the best out of the box for soft recoil, barrett a close third after my BCM middy. Own a DPMS Oracle that had more recoil than a .243 bolt gun, absolutely the worst AR I have ever shot out of the box. Way over gassed , spring and buffers helped but were band-aids. It now sports a DD barrel, Springco red spring,H2 buffer and BCM comp, now the softest shooting AR I have ever pulled the trigger on.

I would lean toward gas delivery and weight of the gun before jumping to the buffers on out the box guns, Both WC and LMT are great companies I would lean toward WC having correct sized gas ports over the LMT.
    Piston guns seem like more push than snap on precieved recoil. I'd compare to .40 vs .45acp recoil.

Got away from piston guns parts are not in every gun store like DI parts, gave my brother the REC 7 after coming home from IRAQ his 3rd time, and DAD got the Ruger for Fathers Day last year.

Top Bottom