• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Looking at AR kits and keep reading about "hammer forged" barrels. Apparently I haven't been reading attentively enough, 'cause I still don't know what they hell they mean by "hammer forged" versus well..."non hammer forged" barrels.

And I suppose I could Google it, but then I'd get some bull **** opinion from some jackwagon in PA or WY rather than some good Hoosier input. :D

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    From Daniel Defense:

"Cold Hammer Forging of barrels has been known for decades to produce the most accurate, longest lasting rifle barrels obtainable. The Cold Hammer Forging of barrels is accomplished through intense hydraulic pressure applied at opposing angles by carbide steel hammers. During the hammering process, a mandrel is inserted into the bore while the carbide steel hammers shape the barrel around the mandrel creating the chamber, the lands, and the grooves. In addition to the aforementioned benefits, the Cold Hammer Forging process creates a defect free bore and the most consistent chamber possible."

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    The Europeans have been using hammer forged barrels for decades. We, in the US, are way behind in terms of using this process.

In the US it's rare that you'll find a hammer forged barrel being made. Companies are finally tooling up to offer them, but they're going to charge a premium, unfortunately, to recoup their tooling costs.

In Europe it's the defacto standard in barrel making. Even Russian AK's use hammer forged barrels.

We're slowly catching up.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    We offer a variety of different hammer forged barrels made for us by FN.
    Outstanding!

FN makes some outstanding barrels. I've been absolutely amazed at the accuracy of the SCAR 17S using Federal Gold ammo. I'm getting 1 MOA out of that rifle with the pencil barrel and factory trigger.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    We offer a variety of different hammer forged barrels made for us by FN.

Are your barrels actually made by FN or are they just made using the same materials and process? I ask because as far as I know it is illegal for FN to make AR15/M16 parts for the civilian market.
    Is this no longer true?:dunno:

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Are your barrels actually made by FN or are they just made using the same materials and process? I ask because as far as I know it is illegal for FN to make AR15/M16 parts for the civilian market.

I don't know what they couldn't, they offer commercial rifles/pistols and Colt makes complete rifles for civilian sales. So long as FN USA can meet the contract needs of .gov, then what parts they sale should be of no concern.

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    I think FN cannot sell the exact same profile that they sell to the Government so they change it just a little. The barrels are not marked FN either. I think only FN and Daniel Defense are making AR15 hammer forged barrels.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Hammer forging does not make the most accurate barrels, what it does do is make large quantities of barrels cheaply and quickly. If the process made the "most accurate barrels" then companies that make match grade barrels would use it. Broach cut is still number one followed by button rifling in terms of accuracy.

this will help explain it all...

The Making of a Rifled Barrel, FirearmsID.com

Palmettos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    Columbia, SC

They are made by FN 10 minutes down the street from us. :D

6263187305_9e90fcc72a_z.jpg

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    From my research you'll end up with a slightly more durable barrel. If its chrome lined, it is likely that a normal person will ever "shoot out" a barrel anyway. It could happen, but the military barrels shipped to the boys overseas aren't hammer forged. It doesn't seem like its something that you'll notice the difference, but it is cool to have it and is technically "better". Probably one of those things you should buy the standard and use the extra $$s to buy ammo. However...whats the fun in that?

I'm 80% of the way through an AR build now and went with an expensive Geissele trigger instead of more ammo simply because its supposed to be badass. I can't shoot a rifle good enough to know the difference at this point but what the hell?

Top Bottom