Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    Seymour
    I'm thinking about getting a new AR this spring. I have narrowed it down to
    either the S&W M&P 15 sport and the Ruger AR 556. They both go for around
    600 bucks.

Between those 2 which one would you get?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    What will you be using the AR for? If it's just for plinking I don't see a big enough difference between the two to say one or the other. I think they'd both do just fine for that and it just comes down to which one feels better to you.

sheltowee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    Seymour
    Mostly plinking...... maybe put on a scope and take it with me when trying to call in coyotes.
    Mostly just to reminisce about my 11 bravo days.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I would go for the Ruger only for the following reasons. It was my understanding that the M&P Sport didnt have the forward assist or dust cover. However, many will say they are not needed.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Is the ruger the gas piston? I thought the ruger 556 was? But I also thought is was closer to $1200? Maybe I'm thinking of a different model... If it is the piston model I would definitely go with the ruger.

All other things being equal, I'd probably just get the one closest to the fit and finish you like.

sheltowee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    Seymour
    The Ruger SR 556 is the piston and expensive. The new AR 556 is not and less expensive.

Also I think the Smith comes with a 1 in 9 twist while the Ruger has a 1 in 8 twist. Does that
    make a big difference?

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    My M&P sport has a 1:8 twist and I love it. No forward assist or dust cover, but I'm not patrolling Baghdad with it. I was able to squeak out sub-moa at 100yds, and that was my first time ever shooting at that distance. I think it was 69gr hornaday match. Yeah twist makes a difference. A 1:9 would probably be better for the lighter varmint rounds, but realistically I'd doubt you'd notice a difference between the two. They both will adequately stabilize the majority of the "box" ammo you can get. I'd stay away from the heavier stuff (69and up) if you go with a 1:9. Yes I'm sure there are lots of people that shoot heavy/long rounds through a 1:9 all day. But the majority of the ammo designed for 'yotes is in the 45-55gr range, or even lighter.

redfox033

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2013
    Newburgh
    I'd go with the ruger hands down. That's my .02...

Why don't you build an AR? You can easily build one for $500ish. I bought my first AR complete. I built my 2nd and I will never buy a complete rifle again. It's more fun to build it!

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    I have no experience with the new Ruger AR, but I have an M&P 15 Sport that was gifted to me, and I must say I dig it! Integral winter trigger guard is a plus. Factory trigger is pretty darn good, for a $600 rifle!
    I am a bit of a Ruger fan, so I hope the AR556 stacks up to the M&P! As was said, I doubt you can go wrong with either!

Top Bottom