• ...and so much more!
  • Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Yeah, you see that Jahred? They suck! :D :D

I do see the plusses of the piston system, but to me, its just a cost issue in my mind and a "why" when the existing system works so well. Granted the AR platform is superb in it's modularity. Heck, one day, there will probably be a laser upper for the AR that takes protoculture cells in the mag well.

I honestly cannot justify 1500-2500 on a rifle when I can build two VERY good rifles for that much (not just good, SUPERB rifles component wise). Maybe I am still stuck on the older (slightly) days when the piston conversions just plain sucked. I know they are VERY reliable, but so are the DI guns.

Screw the AK and the AR, bring back the Valmets! Heck, if the Galil's sights weren't non-condusive to cleaning (loss of zero every time removed), that would be a great alternative.

4PWW9

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Mishawaka
    Enter the Multi-Caliber Hybrid Option.......

CM901.jpg

Colt just previewed this in October at the Association of US Army show in Washington DC. I saw it there but handling it was not an option at that venue. Two weeks ago at the Soldier Equipment Conference held at Ft Bragg, Colt held a firing demo and I had the opportunity check it out. The gun was not configured in each option and I really don't have an opinion without seeing some prolonged use. But it sure took Colt along time to develop a 7.62 variant, let alone a piston operating system.
    Stoner had the piston drive platform all figured out over 50 years ago and we are just now getting around to it.

Also Gwinn Bushmaster Firearms offered a AK piston type AR hybrid back in the late 70's & 80's. I own one today and really like it, never a problem functioning, it is a little crude to current standards but it was way ahead of it's time.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Yeah, you see that Jahred? They suck! :D :D

I do see the plusses of the piston system, but to me, its just a cost issue in my mind and a "why" when the existing system works so well. Granted the AR platform is superb in it's modularity. Heck, one day, there will probably be a laser upper for the AR that takes protoculture cells in the mag well.

I honestly cannot justify 1500-2500 on a rifle when I can build two VERY good rifles for that much (not just good, SUPERB rifles component wise). Maybe I am still stuck on the older (slightly) days when the piston conversions just plain sucked. I know they are VERY reliable, but so are the DI guns.

Screw the AK and the AR, bring back the Valmets! Heck, if the Galil's sights weren't non-condusive to cleaning (loss of zero every time removed), that would be a great alternative.

The DI guns had their own "They Suck" magazines too, except their's were printed by the Government..

sweet16.jpg

Top Bottom