• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Methane Herder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pitchfork Union
    And FWIW, I don't recall any AR platform operators manual that I ever read recommending using the inserted magazine as a grip/palm rest.
    Also, with a blue million alternate AR manufactures out there (read: "original specified tolerances and materials maybe optional in the fabrication"), I would avoid using the magazine for anything other than an ammunition storage/ feeding device.
    PS: There is a reason why M1a/M14 target shooters number their mags. The mechanics are different between platforms but it helps to show that magazines generally were not intended to be braces or hand grips.

MH

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    Scanning through I didn’t see.
    Were the guns home builds???
    And was his “factory ammo” from a guy selling “his reloads” at a gun show or unknown internet origin???

Also, Downward pressure on a magazine shouldn’t cause any issues. Especially a major KB! A lot of folks use the magazine as a monopod and it doesn’t cause the jams like DI’s said it would in the 80’s
    No guns were factory built and I saw him open the American Eagle ammo Box. I thought I posted that but maybe not.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    If you know a lot of AR shooters, you probably still don't know 4 people that have had "kabooms", much less one guy who has had 4. Operator error at some level is indicated.
    Maintenance / cleaning issues? Headspace correct?
    Barrel properly torqued/aligned with barrel extension?
    BCG assembled correctly?
    Some behavior of his is the culprit IMO. I've seen shooters hold at the magwell before. Usually they claim to prefer the vertical orientation, similar to the pistol grip, but more likely they lack proper conditioning, and their arm gets heavy being held extended in front of them.
    Regardless, I've never seen that technique, alone, cause a kaboom, but it could maybe, possibly be a contributing factor.
    I don't think we're gonna know the answer to this, without a thorough post mortem, or until he has number 5.
    Don’t disagree at all. I was just caught off guard because I witnessed it and can’t come up with a logical reason why it happened. When he told me it happened three other times I’m looking for user error but don’t know what it would be. Factory ammo and factory guns 4 times?? Somethings up, I just want to know what it is. I’ll reiterate I honestly don’t feel like he’s lying.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    I shot high power matches, every weekend from May to October across the Midwest for 7 years. 100's of thousands of rounds, by 100's of competitors, most shooting the AR chassis rifles.

Exactly one AR blew up, and that was quickly solved as an inexperienced reloader used a case full of WW296 magnum pistol powder instead of the proper WW748 medium rifle powder.

For a single man to have blown 4 rifles with factory ammo, there has to be something that is exactly centered around him, nothing else is statistically possible. The AR is a pretty reliable design proven over decades.

edwea has a possible answer, but what kind of routine would stick 4 firing pins, and break cam bolts?
    I know, it’s not adding up. I guess maybe I’m biased cause he’s a good dude. Maybe a good liar but I try to assume the best in a person. It’s just the math that makes it astronomically impossible for that to happen. I’ve got home builds I’ve never checked head space on and have NEVER bought factory rounds. I load my own and have no problems.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    On the bright side...

Props to the church for having a security team... and for them... taking time to train.

That begs the question...

Did he transition to his sidearm after the kaboom, and finish the drill?
    This could have happened during a fight.
    No, it turned into a circus with 5 dudes trying to coon finger it and get the”stuck round” out of the chamber. It wasn’t the round that was the problem it was the bolt that was the problem that I tried to explain. Meanwhile, I looked like Michael Jackson dancing around trying to avoid the muzzle that was flailing about. Finally security leader pointed out muzzle safety and they went to the workshop and I continued to train.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    Thanks all for your input. I’m thinking it’s user error but don’t know it what it takes to fix it.

bgarman47

File Jockey
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 8, 2023
    Ossian
    As described this is multiple rifles, not just one.

Yes, I understand that. I was speaking in the singular because we do not have data about the mode of failure of any of those others; nor any proof they exist.

I was simply trying to contribute potential relevant information that other users had not posted.

Edited for politeness.

Last edited:

bgarman47

File Jockey
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 8, 2023
    Ossian
    No, it turned into a circus with 5 dudes trying to coon finger it and get the”stuck round” out of the chamber. It wasn’t the round that was the problem it was the bolt that was the problem that I tried to explain. Meanwhile, I looked like Michael Jackson dancing around trying to avoid the muzzle that was flailing about. Finally security leader pointed out muzzle safety and they went to the workshop and I continued to train.

If 5 dudes where trying to fix the malfunction, how many were loading magazines at any one time? Was there any 300BLK ammo present?

I keep coming back to this because it really is the most likely. A company I used to work for received roughly a rifle a week that customers managed to shoot 300BLK through and destroy. It happens.

Mechanical failure of the rifle otherwise is much less uncommon.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    If 5 dudes where trying to fix the malfunction, how many were loading magazines at any one time? Was there any 300BLK ammo present?

I keep coming back to this because it really is the most likely. A company I used to work for received roughly a rifle a week that customers managed to shoot 300BLK through and destroy. It happens.

I can definitely see this happening, especially if people were bringing their own magazines. Someone could have easily brought a magazine from home that they forgot to unload, thought they'd just quick unload those 300BLK rounds and stick them in their pocket. Then they either forgot and left one round in the magazine, or maybe they were chatting with someone while loading magazines and out of habit reached into their pocket for a round, or a dozen other ways it could have happened.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I know, it’s not adding up. I guess maybe I’m biased cause he’s a good dude. Maybe a good liar but I try to assume the best in a person. It’s just the math that makes it astronomically impossible for that to happen. I’ve got home builds I’ve never checked head space on and have NEVER bought factory rounds. I load my own and have no problems.
    This isn’t anything against your friend just an observation from working private ranges the last 4 years and seeing a lot of folks that had issues with their firearms the last 38 years.

In almost all of them there is human error or misuse involved. And almost always they downplay that role. Some almost claiming victimhood then calling for a boycott when company X doesn’t buy their BS story.

Once could have been a bad round but to have four separate ones raises an eyebrow. Because even a bad over pressure round they usually won’t run that over pressure and in the same box. Not that I would say never but highly highly unlikely. Just lots of undetermined things.

Good luck to him

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville

Has he put the wrong ammo in 4 times; different guns? I cannot deny that may have what happened, but 4 times “same kaboom”? HE’s got to be doing something to the gun, IMO.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Has he put the wrong ammo in 4 times; different guns? I cannot deny that may have what happened, but 4 times “same kaboom”? HE’s got to be doing something to the gun, IMO.
    And maybe I'm just chicken. But if I had multiple kabooms, I might start to think that guns just arent for me.

Or at least THAT kind of gun. "Man, I suck with rifles. I think I'll stick to pistols. Those I dont seem to have a problem with."

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    What was that article that came out 6 months to a year ago, about the way people were cleaning their ARs was destroying them? I don’t remember the details. Could this be related?

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    And maybe I'm just chicken. But if I had multiple kabooms, I might start to think that guns just arent for me.

Or at least THAT kind of gun. "Man, I suck with rifles. I think I'll stick to pistols. Those I dont seem to have a problem with."
    Actually it’s kind of hilarious because he pretty much said that, I quote” I think I’m done with ARs”.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru

Nobody was loading magazines at the time cause they were focused on the problem and I was focused on the muzzle flailing about. Yes there was 1 blackout present but I saw with my own eyes him opening a fresh box of American Eagle . 223 so the logical .300 thing is a non starter in this case. It’s so bizarre that’s why I’m trying to find an answer cause I can’t wrap my head around the almost statistical impossibility of the circumstances. Like I said he is a stand-up dude and I believe with every fiber of being that he is being truthful.

Top Bottom