• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    So after we built an couple of AK's my buddy decided we should machine an AR lower on the Bridgeport out of a blank forging. Yes there is a lot of machining to it! Took a couple of weekends.

Any reccomendations on engraving?
    Any thoughts on varmint uppers?

He took it home and this is his first attempt at anodizing:

ar.jpg

thats awesome! you cant hear it but there are monks chanting in the background and me kneeling to your picture :):

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    thats awesome! you cant hear it but there are monks chanting in the background and me kneeling to your picture :):

You on your knees, that sounds about right. :D

Very nice job! It sure would be nice to have that kind of equipment and skill around any farm. I sure wish we had it on ours! I may have to look into learning some of that and getting the equipment.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    I appreciate the accolades! I guess if I had to advise I'd say it's a waste of time. Certainly cheaper to order a bare lower from AIM and pay the transfer fee. But we killed a couple of weekends this winter. And learned some new skills ESP. Anodizing.

My friend bought a jig. Also the tap to do the buffer tube hole was expensive. The jig wasn't necessary as the digital read out on the mill would locate everything. Most of the machining was done with the blank clamped to an angle plate.

I'll post a link to the how to file that we followed when I get home tonight.

Bert

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Shelbyville
    For those interested you can purchase an 80% finished lower . much of the work is already done . Just as legal , took 20 min. on a CNC milling machine .

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    If I bring you some pot metal can you make me a Hi-point?.........sorry.... that is a really neat job <-----wishing I had those skills!!!!!

Last edited:

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Great Job! And you can take that to the bank! I run bridgeports, lathes and grinders everyday for a living. I have been doing this for over 30 years.
    I do know what you mean when you say it isn't cost effective to do your own, but there is a satisfaction factor envolved in doing it yourself.

Top Bottom