• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wethepeople

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Shelby County
    Does anyone have any experience with storing loaded 30 round mags for an extended period of time? I am wondering whether or not it would affect the spring in a negative way. I don't want to get myself in a position where I am counting on them and they fail. Thanks in advance.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I load mine to 28 never 30 and they sit like that for years. Not all my mags. 6 or so. FWIW.

EDit to add...I have both polymer and aluminum mags loaded up.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Spring USAGE is what wears them out. That and possibly over-compressing them.

I, too, store my AR mags downloaded by 2. But all of mine are polymer mags with polymer feed lips. I do this to lessen the chance for slight deformation of the feed lips.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Tactically Fat is correct, it is spring usage that wears a spring out. Loaded or unloaded does not make a difference to the spring.
    So load 'em and leave 'em.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I keep all my mags loaded. Empty mags will never do me any good.

I also load my AR with 28, except it has nothing to do with spring tension. Its easier to load a mag on a closed bolt.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I keep 30 of them loaded to 30 rounds most of the time. I then use those for practice or class and then reload them. Some of them might sit for 6 months to a year before I cycle through them all. None of my mags are polymer only feed lips though.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I keep all my mags loaded. Empty mags will never do me any good.

I also load my AR with 28, except it has nothing to do with spring tension. Its easier to load a mag on a closed bolt.

This is my reason as well.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    What I'd be more worried about is the feed lips. If you're going to leave it loaded, get something with metal feed lips. Otherwise, you'll need to use something like the magpul pmag covers to keep the feed lips from failing if loaded for long periods of time.

Springs aren't affected by leaving them loaded. As long as a spring isn't pushed past elastic and into plastic deformation, leaving it in any state won't affect it. The number of times a spring is cycled is what affects spring life. So in reality, loading and unloading is worse for spring life. Also note, none of this takes into account moisture, corrosion, etc...

Does anyone have any experience with storing loaded 30 round mags for an extended period of time? I am wondering whether or not it would affect the spring in a negative way. I don't want to get myself in a position where I am counting on them and they fail. Thanks in advance.

Jkwrangler70

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 24, 2016
    Lafayette
    What I'd be more worried about is the feed lips. If you're going to leave it loaded, get something with metal feed lips. Otherwise, you'll need to use something like the magpul pmag covers to keep the feed lips from failing if loaded for long periods of time.

Springs aren't affected by leaving them loaded. As long as a spring isn't pushed past elastic and into plastic deformation, leaving it in any state won't affect it. The number of times a spring is cycled is what affects spring life. So in reality, loading and unloading is worse for spring life. Also note, none of this takes into account moisture, corrosion, etc...

if you're looking for a good alternative to Pmags, but with metal feed lips, I would HIGHLY recommend Lancers. By far my favorite mags on the market.

Top Bottom