• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • musketjon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2023
    California
    I want to install a CLE NM Float tube on my 20" Windham A4 rifle. I plan to use the existing hand guards. How difficult is it to remove the heat shields (they appear to be hot glued in place)? Also, can someone post a photo, or at least tell me how much material needs to be removed, and where, to make the guards fit? Or, should I just pony-up and get the kit that includes the hand guards? I'm on a fixed income so trying to do it as cheaply as possible plus, I don't want a set of hand guards laying around collecting dust, and there are no plans for any additional AR rifles.
    Thanks for your inputs.
    Jon

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I want to install a CLE NM Float tube on my 20" Windham A4 rifle. I plan to use the existing hand guards. How difficult is it to remove the heat shields (they appear to be hot glued in place)? Also, can someone post a photo, or at least tell me how much material needs to be removed, and where, to make the guards fit? Or, should I just pony-up and get the kit that includes the hand guards? I'm on a fixed income so trying to do it as cheaply as possible plus, I don't want a set of hand guards laying around collecting dust, and there are no plans for any additional AR rifles.
    Thanks for your inputs.
    Jon
    Pony up, buy the complete kit, all the parts match, everything works together

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks for your inputs.
    Jon

I don't think hot glue would withstand the high barrel temps. The existing hand guards shouldn't be that hard to modify. I bought the CLE ones because I didn't want to modify my OEM Colt parts.

The A2 style hand guards are not very common now & should be relativly cheap to replace if you muck them up. Go for it.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, A2s with float tubes can be shot pretty okay on your feet. If you are bithered, add some weight in the back...but if you're good enough fir it to matter a lot, then you're probably not gonna want a Government profile.

;)
    There is a weight made to the shape of the buttstock compartment.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    There is a weight made to the shape of the buttstock compartment.

Just remember:

---Cut only from the FRONT of the weight.

---Drills are more precise than saws.

---Realize they sold you at least 1/3 more lead than you probably want.

---Heavier is only better if you work at building the core strength and lumbar flexibility to get the 15 lb rifle over your instep. If you can't, or don't, then heavy weight just makes a bad problem worse.

---Trim/file the rear end until the door JUST clicks shut, pressing the taper forward into your stock;...

...and if you go a shade too far, some thin inner-tube placed on the rear of the weight will tighten it back up.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    I bought a RRA in 2010, with a 20" National Match stainless barrel and the FF tube with the Hogue overmoldimg. No problems with any part of the rifle yet.

With 75gr TAP it'll hold a 6" group at 600 yards.
    With 77gr IMI it'll halve that to 3".
    On a calm day.
    Doping wind seems quite different between these two rounds.
    Both rounds will produce cloverleaf groups at 100 yards.
    This is thru an AAC M-2000 suppressor, and I suspect barrel harmonics are a large portion of the accuracy disparity at longer ranges.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    I dont have any experience with the CLE float tube, but enough good service rifle shooters use them that if there were an issue, it would be well known by now.

I have 2 of the Rock River tubes. I run my sling tight enough that I'm bruised up pretty good after a 60 round midrange match, even through a t-shirt, sweatshirt, and padded Creedmoor coat....and not from the .223's brutal recoil :) I've never had any issues with the Rock River tube in 6 years of service rifle shooting.

Pick whatever one you like, is cheaper, in stock, etc, and go for it. If I had to pick one today, it'd be a CLE, but only for the supporting small company reasons @natdscott mentioned.

Top Bottom