• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Just Jeremy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    Plainfield
    I have been around INGO for a while now. Up until this point I have just asked a few questions here and there. Now I am building my first AR...this one will actually be for my wife who likes cows and daises. So I thought I would try to document what I am doing.

Here is a list of the parts I used:
    New Frontier Armory 80% Lower
    Anderson LPK and JPS 3.5reduced power Spring Kit
    GunTec 15" Keymod Slim Light weight Free float Rail
    ST-45 Ambi Safety 45*
    Troy Enhanced Battle AX CQB Pistol Grip
    Primary Weapon Systems MOD 2 FSC muzzle device
    Ballistic Advantage 16" 5.56 BA Hanson .625 Mid Barrel w/ Lo Pro
    FailZero M16/4 Full-Auto BCG - No Hammer​
    Buffer tube / Buffer: I went with Spikes T2 and MIL spec combo
    Stock: Leapers UTG PRO Model 4 Combat Ops S1 Mil-Spec
    Optics: Amazon cheapo BUIS...not very good and Primary Arms Halosun 503G
    Superlative Arms Adjustable Bleed-Off Clamp On Gas Block
    Dead On Arms Pinless Dust Cover
    Complete Mil-Spec Forward Assist Kit from JoeBob Outfitters
    Cerakote by AllenM​

Keep in mind this is for my wife. Use will be relatively low. It really just needs to be a dream to shoot when it is used. I will update this again once she gets some time on it.

Last edited:

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I built my wife a lightweight-ish AR and she and her friends definitely like it, and shoot better with it, than my heavier AR's. I went with a 14.5" BCM lightweight barrel with a pinned and welded Battlecomp thinking that it's unlikely she'll shoot it enough to wear it out, and that she'd appreciate the weight savings.

I understand where you're going with the adjustable gas, but I wonder about the reliability across different ammo... will she get bummed out if Wolf won't cycle or 77gr Black Hills "thumps" her a little more?

vwfred69

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    noblesville
    I built my wife a lightweight-ish AR and she and her friends definitely like it, and shoot better with it, than my heavier AR's. I went with a 14.5" BCM lightweight barrel with a pinned and welded Battlecomp thinking that it's unlikely she'll shoot it enough to wear it out, and that she'd appreciate the weight savings.

I understand where you're going with the adjustable gas, but I wonder about the reliability across different ammo... will she get bummed out if Wolf won't cycle or 77gr Black Hills "thumps" her a little more?

How quick does it seem to get hot and I've been looking at the same barrel for my wife

Just Jeremy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    Plainfield
    That's a nice looking weapon.

Good thinking on the gas block. I have 1k rds to start with, it will take her quite a while to go through it. After that I will reload the brass.

If it turns out to be too unreliable, I guess I can open it up a bit extra.

Just Jeremy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    Plainfield
    Here are some pictures of the New Frontier Armory 80% Lower. It has a lot of machine marks, chatter marks, and burs. I was expecting better from them, but I will get it cleaned up.

Just Jeremy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    Plainfield
    That's whag I'm wondering. Been cheaper just to buy a forged 100% lower if he doesn't have the jigs.
    This lower with jigs was $115. Big brother doesn't know that I have them unless they do some work. I like to make things. I hope you follow this and like what I come up with.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I program and operate 5 axis CNC machines for a living. I did get a jig in order to keep everything legal, but the engraving will be done on the machines.
    This first AR is for my wife and I have a second 80% lower I will do for myself at some pt.

Ok, thanks, being a Nosy Ned, just curious. Great to see INGOers with practical gun skills. Makes me feel all warm inside.:D

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I program and operate 5 axis CNC machines for a living. I did get a jig in order to keep everything legal, but the engraving will be done on the machines.
    This first AR is for my wife and I have a second 80% lower I will do for myself at some pt.

That's nice. I wish i had cnc machines and skills to operate them. :(

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    How quick does it seem to get hot and I've been looking at the same barrel for my wife

It's not an issue at all for her, one pmag at 2-3 seconds per round is about her max. I've dumped 2 mags through it at a very high rate and it gets warm but not uncomfortable.

That's a nice looking weapon.

Good thinking on the gas block. I have 1k rds to start with, it will take her quite a while to go through it. After that I will reload the brass.

If it turns out to be too unreliable, I guess I can open it up a bit extra.

I only ask because my AR-308 has adjustable gas and between ammo and a suppressor I seemed to always be on the wrong setting. At this point I just set it where it will reliably run with 145gr unsuppressed and accept the additional recoil with 175gr suppressed... my GB is a Syrac Gen 1 and it's easy to adjust, but it's basically unnecessary for my application.

ETA: I will say that it's a very soft shooter if I take the time to adjust it for a given ammo/suppressor configuration.

Last edited:

Just Jeremy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    Plainfield
    Completed the engraving. Here is the first roll mark. This daisy had a lot of detail, and took a lot longer than I expected to finish to the depth I wanted.

Just Jeremy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    Plainfield
    The cow and Mooolon Labe in ancient Greek was the last part I engraved.

My wife really liked the engraving. Now I need to degrease and blast this and see how it looks.

Top Bottom