• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • s&wluvr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    LaPorte/Michigan City area
    I just bought an M&P-15 last night, and already I'm looking to spend more money to accessorize it. The 30 rd magazine is stamped 5.56x45. My questions are as follows:

1) Is the 5.56rd basically the same as the .223 rd and can I use either ammo in a magazine marked 5.56 OR .223?
    2) Which round is less expensive to shoot, and where are the best deals on clean ammo?
    3) What are the MUST HAVE attachments to this gun?

Thanks in advance for any help. I hope that my questions aren't too elementary, but I figure I've now got the bug and have to start somewhere.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    1) Is the 5.56rd basically the same as the .223 rd and can I use either ammo in a magazine marked 5.56 OR .223?

"Basically", yes, but there are differences. You can shoot both .223 and 5.56 in your gun, assuming your BARREL is marked 5.56.

2) Which round is less expensive to shoot, and where are the best deals on clean ammo?

Prices vary. And they've come down in the past 6 months. 21st Century Firearms was selling some PMC(?) for like $299/1k or something like that.

That is 100% dependent on what you want to do with this gun and how you plan to shoot it. There's no sense in loading it down with weight until you know that the weight will help you be a more efficient shooter.

If this is a fighting gun I'd say you need a light, an optic, a sling, and a pile of mags and ammo.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Great questions and congrats! You'll get a lot of responses, adn there is also a lot of similar info out there on your questions if you search around a bit too.

** These are not the same. The 5.56 chamber is slightly different than a .223 chamber, and the loads are typically bit higher pressure in 5.56 Nato rounds. The long and the short of it is that with a 5.56 chamber you can shoot both. Visually it is nearly impossible to tell the two rounds apart, and both will shoot fine through a standard AR mag so long as they are loaded to AR mag lenght.

** The least expensive rounds are steel cased 55 and 62 grain offerings from Wolf and other imported ammo. There is a lot of opinions out there about shooting steel cased ammo. My advice to you is to try it and see if you gun will shoot it fine. Otherwise, there is plenty of brass cased ammo out there, including some relatively inexpensive M193 (55gr FMJ) and M855 (62gr FMJ-pennetrator) "Mil-spec" ammo out there you can shoot.

The advantage of brass cased is of course that it can be reloaded and or sold to someone that does reload.

Gun should be good to go as is. Probably want some good reliable mags first. Magpul PMAG's are great, as are many of the lower cost metal mags out there with the enhanced anti-tilt follower. After that, a good set of iron sights (if the rifle doesn't already have them) and a sling and you are ready to blast away and have a great functioning AR.

Shoot the rifle stock for a bit before you put a bunch of tacti-cool stuff on the AR. You'll find that most of it just adds weight for not a lot of additional function. If you do decide you want some tactical stuff, Magpul is aways a great product for performance and function, and there are several other great brands out there.

Esrice should be along shortly with a good post he put together answering those same questions.

Enjoy!

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I'd shoot it some and get the feel for it before you buy a bunch of do dads. Basic brass PMC 223 is usually around $1 cheaper a box than the 5.56mm here at my LGS. Both shoot great.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    mission drives the gear train is the saying........

For ME like Evan said, a light, sling, and an AIMPOINT optic.

Shoot it stock for a while, get to know your rifle, then decide what YOU want/need.

Just don't drag it through the Crapco catalog, that's just wasting good money. :D

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Is it the magazine itself or the magwell stamped 5.56x45? If it's the magazine, it's irrelevant; if it's on the magwell, you can go either way as long as the barrel agrees. I get most of my ammo bulk military surplus, so it's 5.56. If you go steel cased, make sure you have recent polymer coated ones.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    My mp15 is stamped 5.56. I have shot with no.issues both. 223 and 5.56. My local Walmart carries American eagle 223 for 6 bucks a box of 20 ($300 for 1k). That's about the best you are going to find in my limited experience on brass ammunition. Shoot it. See what u like and don't like about it. Shoot other's if possible that have accesories and see what u like /don't like. Welcome to the club and happy shooting.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have an M&P Sport and swapped out the stock handguard for an MOE, and the stock grip for an MOE as well.

As others have said, I'd say shoot it for a while as is and then check out some options.

The MagPul items I placed on mine were not expensive and I like them much better than the stock items.They are still very lightweight, and that's the way I intend to keep this rifle.

My next accessories will be some good sling mounts and a sling.

Top Bottom