• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NDhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    North Central IN
    After reading way too much on too many forums and shooting a bunch of AR's I finally decided on my base AR. I went with the Knight SR15 E3. There are so many high-end, great-quality options out there in AR's, it was a pick the one with the most you like type of deal. Now I need to finish it out with optics, weapon light and final touches. It's going to be a 'patrol rifle' type-package, if you will. It will get maintained, but it will get run, and probably ran hard some.

1. Optics--I don't want any more than 3x. Trijicon ACOG and RDS, Aimpoint PRO and Micro T1 and Comp M4 are what's on the radar right now. I could be persuaded if I like something else, but it needs to be an optic of this class. Ultimately, I think a twist-off or quick flip 3x magnifier in front of a red dot would suit me, the rifle, and the purpose the best, but I haven't been there, done that. Some people have, and I'd like to hear options and opinions. I'm not a fan of the RDS on the ACOG, the RDS is too high for me to get used to or like personally.

2. Weapon light--I'm a fan of Surefire. All of their products I have bought have served me very well. Not cheap, but I want the best package, not the cheapest. Surefire Scout/Micro Scout are on the radar. What do other people have they favor/have positive experiences with. I'm sure there are other good makes out there, i/e Streamlight.

3. What else is a must-have, in your book? Gun is ambi, has rail covers, flip-up sights, SOPMOD etc. presently. Thoughts on the BCM gunfight charging handle? I've got a spare bcg coming, with Knight's 'proprietary' design and all, if I'm going to run the gun hard, I want to have one.

Anything else to add? Feel free.

Thanks

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    1. Find someone with said optics and try to use them all, then decide.

2. Surefire makes good options that are still affordable. I have a 6P LED on mine. I think it was like $80 or so.

3. Ambi-Safety if you don't already have one, BCM Medium charging handle, and probably multiple sling attachment points to give you flexibility to swap different slings on and off if you wanted.

:yesway:

It'll be like legos though.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Sounds like your on track for a real nice rifle.

If you don't need the magnification, I'd go Aimpoint Micro.

Surefire Scouts are the only weapon light I run on my carbines. I currently have 2, and the Larue angled mount made a great upgrade if you like to shoot like Magpul teaches.

The BCM handle is a must. I also like running a larger trigger guard for my sausage fingers. Ambi safety is nice. Also a Larue mount for whatever optic choice you make. The rest will come as you experiment with the rifle. I don't know how many times I've told myself "It's finished!", just to find myself reconfigure it days later.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Here's your shopping list:

• Aimpoint H1/T1
    • LaRue Micro Mount
    • Surefire MiniScout
    • BCM Gunfighter charging handle
    • Sling of your choice
    • Sling mounts of your choice
    • A pile of PMAGs
    • Lots of 5.56

NDhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    North Central IN
    Here's your shopping list:

• Aimpoint H1/T1
    • LaRue Micro Mount
    • Surefire MiniScout
    • BCM Gunfighter charging handle
    • Sling of your choice
    • Sling mounts of your choice
    • A pile of PMAGs
    • Lots of 5.56

Sounds like I was on an okay track, this is kind of where I was at. At the last 1500 I handled about every scope possible to come to the list I had. I do like the T1.

What about an Aimpoint 3x magnifier in front? One of my main drawbacks of an ACOG is the eye relief. I have read of dot-distortion, even running Aimpoint on Aimpoint. I could run just a plain T1 and probably not have many misgivings, however I would like the possibility of magnification. What's your guy's experiences with this?

I run an urban-ert single point sling on my shotgun, I like it and will probably try one of these first. If I don't like it, I'll move on. One of the features of the Knight 'integrated weapon system' is that it comes with 7 sling positions. I'll try those and go from there.

I'm going to go for the BCM gunfighter at this point.

Thanks for all of the advice.

NDhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    North Central IN
    i have to ask, is that your buck in your profile pic? if so good for you

Yeah, I killed him last year. I haven't officially scored him yet. The taxidermist does a free mount contest every year. Mine won the contest this year with a gross of a little over 205" non-typical unofficial. I don't really hunt to claim records or anything, so I haven't really promoted him a lot (or at all). I shot him here in Indiana, not more than 1000 yards from my house.

What 1-4x would you look at? That's something I'm open to look at and sounds interesting. I did look at the Leupold VX-R's, they just weren't my cup of tea.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What about an Aimpoint 3x magnifier in front? One of my main drawbacks of an ACOG is the eye relief. I have read of dot-distortion, even running Aimpoint on Aimpoint. I could run just a plain T1 and probably not have many misgivings, however I would like the possibility of magnification. What's your guy's experiences with this?

I don't run or need a magnifier, so I won't be much help there.

I run an urban-ert single point sling on my shotgun, I like it and will probably try one of these first. If I don't like it, I'll move on. One of the features of the Knight 'integrated weapon system' is that it comes with 7 sling positions. I'll try those and go from there.

I also run an UERT. I like its versatility.

It sounds like you're gonna have a very nice setup. Please keep us updated and post pics if possible!

Top Bottom