• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Ok I know it has been asked 3498374069283 times before, but hell...I'm gonna ask it again. Now I know that I should really get an Aimpoint or EoTech, etc, and that may be possible down the road, but for now we are going cost effective.

So right now I'm going between 1x RDS and a couple 1-4x scopes. This will be a range gun, but it is my only AR so it may turn into a training rifle as well. Doubt I will be using it as a critter getter, but if I ever do I figure I can through one of my other scopes on it.

So onto the everyday optics for this rifle.

Primary Arms M4 w/ QD 3x magnifier (thoughts?) ~ $200

Millet DMS-1 1-4x ~ $200 (plus mount)

Nikon M223 1-4x ~ $230 (plus mount)

Currently I have a rear MBUS on this rifle, so the only way to keep that on would be the M4 w/o the magnifier, thus the reason for the QD mag mount. I don't think it would fit/be necessary with either of the scope :dunno:

Let me know what you think. :ingo:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Aaron, I've got the Millet DMS-1 on two of my AR15s because I love it so much. I think you may have shot my yellow & black 6.5 Grendel at one of the Winamac shoots? That gun sports the DMS-1. The other gun I have with the same optic is my 458 Socom AR15.

Honestly I'm thinking of swapping off the DMS-1 from the 6.5 Grendel and putting a 10x laser rangefinding scope on that gun. The DMS-1 will be swapped over to another of the AR15's that I've got, not sure which one, but probably one in 5.56 caliber.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    My thoughts :twocents:

If this is your only AR that will possibly be used for training is to forgo the 1-4x idea. They are big/heavy for that purpose. I had 2 of the Millet DMS-1 and got rid of both. Most are using one of the micro red dots.

Second, while the PA M4 style is nice,(AA battery) I'd go with one of their micro sights (smaller/lighter weight) and skip the magnifier for now.

Now if you are thinking 3 gun shooting, then yes the 1-4x or a red dot with a magnifier would fit that purpose.

If you are just going to sit at a bench and punch paper, then any you mention will fill that role.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    BTW, if you want to try a DMS1 on your gun send me a PM, I'll take one off one of my guns and let you try it. I've got them mounted on quick detach mounts so I'll let you try the scope & mount. As long as you can pick the scope and mount up at the Pit Stop cigar lounge, and return it there I'd let you borrow it for a range trip or two.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Bob, I did shoot your Grendal, but I thought it was bigger scope that a 1-4x. Hmm...

mvician, the Micro Reflex looks nice, but it seems to be getting some sub-par reviews. What are you thoughts on the Micro Dot with removable base? What kind of co-witness does that give? I'm thinking from what I read that I would be most comfortable with a riser that gives lower 1/3, since I'm 6'4". Also, the reason I mentioned the magnifier was because its discounted when you buy if with the site, so I can just use it if/when I need it.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    mvician, the Micro Reflex looks nice, but it seems to be getting some sub-par reviews. What are you thoughts on the Micro Dot with removable base? What kind of co-witness does that give? I'm thinking from what I read that I would be most comfortable with a riser that gives lower 1/3, since I'm 6'4". Also, the reason I mentioned the magnifier was because its discounted when you buy if with the site, so I can just use it if/when I need it.

The Micro Dot is the one I was referring to. You can get it with their mount or it will work with any of the other mounts like the Daniel Defense, LaRue, KAC. It has the same mounting holes.

I have one of their gen2 with their riser mount, gives close to 1/3 lower cowitness.

KACbuildFgreen009.jpg

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I have the Millet DMS-1 on my SIG 522... Nice optic for the price. I have a little trouble with eye relief, but I'm also an idiot. Really.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    That pic cracks me up. Your BUIS cost more than your red dot and mount, didn't it... :):

:):

That pic was during comparison pictures. The PA red dot does not permanently reside on the KAC SR-15 M4 :D Either the AimPoint micro or an AimPoint CompM2 go on the KAC.

Someone had asked about the height difference in the PA micro and their riser compared to the AP in a LaRue mount. The PA sits just a "tad" lower.

PrimaryArms018.jpg

PrimaryArms017.jpg

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I know this is blasphemous and proves that I have absolutely no expertise or credibility about anything gun related, but those microsights are the ugliest thing I've ever seen mounted to an AR. I know that doesn't matter, but I had to get it out of my system.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Did you shoot the heavy target barrel OD Green Grendel or the carbine type bright YELLOW Grendel. The OD Green has an 18x scope, the YELLOW Grendel has a DMS1 scope.

OD Green long range Grendel
    P1000076.jpg

This is the one you had out that day. I may take you up on the offer to check out the DMS-1. I'll be keeping an eye on the Micro Dot from PA though, thanks for the info mcivian.

Joz86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2009
    NWI-Lowell
    I was able to pick up and EOTech 512 for $200 and threw a Primary Arms 3x mag with a FTS mount. The whole setup cost under $300 and it perfect for any range without having to remove the mag from the rail for close range or switch to a high power scope for long range.
    photo-5.jpg

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Guessing you bought that used somewhere? For $200 I would probably jump on an Eotech, just not looking to spend $500 on an optic right now.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    I know this is blasphemous and proves that I have absolutely no expertise or credibility about anything gun related, but those microsights are the ugliest thing I've ever seen mounted to an AR. I know that doesn't matter, but I had to get it out of my system.

AR Counselling, what else can I say.;)

"HI, I'm Bigum, uh---I think microsights are ugly!"

Everybody

HI BIGUM!

That's the start of AR Counselling.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA

Seriously, that's the beauty of AR's. There are so many ways to enjoy them!! Make your AR's the way you like them. You're the one who shoots them and cleans them, and sets them up the way you want to shoot. I'm glad AR's didn't get as popular as they are, when I was old enough to buy guns. I would live in the world's largest safe, surrounded by them. Really.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Just gonna throw another spoke in the wrench because I just learned about the product. What about the Primary Arms 1-4x Illuminated scope?

Top Bottom