• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    both. but if i had to get one, i would get the AR. there are just way more options and accessories imo. and as you swap parts, you will eventually end up with a pile that can turn into a new rifle. plus, i find the AR to be way more fun to shoot.

if i honestly thought the world would end and it literally was every man for himself, i would take the AK- ammo is really cheap and the AK platform is known to be reliable in the worst conditions.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Seeing is how there are probably a billion AK vs AR threads on the net, being an argument that has been going on since there were AKs and ARs, best to buy one of each and make both sides happy. ;)

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    One is a crescent wrench, the other pliers. Pick the tool that works best for you.

Want to shoot at 100 yards? (100 yards sounds like a short distance. Go outside and measure off three hundred feet now hunker down and sight out a small target. Now do it at 200 yards. 300 yards. Unless you're scoping it, those distances get mighty small for my eyes.)

Gotta budget?

Neither is wrong. Neither is right. I own both. If I had to start liquidating, don't ask me which would be the last rifle platform I owned. I can't decide. ;)

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    This could get real ugly.

Shoot both of them and make your choice. They're both great rifles with outstanding records.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    If you enjoy shooting, get the ar. If you enjoy talking about how reliable your gun is, in the hands of fighters in countries you have never been in, get the ak.

People love AKs, till its time to actually test their skill in competition.

Get the AR first, learn marksmanship. Then get the AK as a ....you know, gun you will use when the world comes to an end.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If you enjoy shooting, get the ar. If you enjoy talking about how reliable your gun is, in the hands of fighters in countries you have never been in, get the ak.

Get the AR first, learn marksmanship. Then get the AK as a ....you know, gun you will use when the world comes to an end.

Seriously, what is up with the whole "AK's" are not accurate crap. Yes, the AR is a more accurate platform overall. However, a good AK will be plenty enough accurate to get the job done. I enjoy shooting my AK, more than I do an AR. That's me though, everyone is different.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    My best advice. If you can, shoot both platforms, and see what you like the best. You may be more accurate with one, then another. Yes I said it, it's just as much the shooter, then the gun in their hands.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    They're both fun and I do enjoy shooting both. I usually grab one of my AR's when going to shoot but every once in awhile I dust off the AK and let it sing. I think they are both easy to field strip and clean, ammo is plentiful for both. AK puts a bigger hole in stuff usually, not sure what you're wanting to do with it. My :twocents:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

when do you wanna test my AK skills? I'll bite :D
    Ill bring a couple AR's too and we can test those too.
    If your AK isnt doing well on the accuracy then its either the operator, or the AK is a POS because it was built wrong by the importer like century. You get an AK that is the way it was meant to be and I will run it to 300 yards against an AR. If you wanna shoot farther than that then obviously the AR will dominate and destroy. But the AK wasnt designed for that long of a distance shooting. it serves its designed purpose well. no sissy bench shooting allowed either.

do I think im the best there is? no, but I am sure I can do the AK justice and surprise you. Dont get me wrong, I love the AR too, but i just cant stand misconceptions about the AK. A lot of which are from people who have zero first hand knowledge of what they are saying. they are just echos of a bad opinion of many moons ago.

Last edited:

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I own multiples of both platforms, but if I could only keep one platform I'd choose to keep my AR's over my AK's.

Don't get me wrong I like my AK's just fine & I am fortunate enough to own a couple of real nice examples, but IMHO the AR is a much better designed platform.

T_V

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    The posts are correct. Once you have one , you will want the other.
    Im trying to save for my AR right now. If the crap ever hits the fan you will want both calibers.

murphy45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I really enjoy my AR but I think others have said it best, try them both and purchase the one you like best first. You will eventually end up wit the other one. Guns aren't exclusionary like the Ford vs Chevy debate but they are addictive so start saving and enjoy yourself.

Top Bottom