• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jocmurph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    Indy Northside
    I am looking at putting together an assault / tactical rifle. I am very new to this, and would like any info on where to look, websites, books, etc. I assume I can find some stuff on Youtube and the internet, but I want some real persons input, not just some info from a website trying to sell stuff. I don't know what is good and what is bad. I am not looking for something very expensive. I want something fun to shoot, and that will hold up with proper cleaning and maintenance. I was also thinking about a 9mm carbine or something. Let me know what you all think. Thanks.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    USDS has classes to build your own upper and lower.. $20 3-4 hours with Pizza and drinks furnished. Really enjoyable class.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member~~ [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Gunsite graduate[FONT=&amp] ~~[/FONT]Certified Glock armorer
    NRA Certified pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] ~~[/FONT]1911 Mechanic

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Destro hit it on the head. I was looking into the MP5 route years ago and realized... I can change the oil in my car, assemble an AR15, fully build a 1911, but those things are a nightmare unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing. HK rifle armorers aren't made, they are born... :D

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Luckily for you there are companies that build rifles and sell them to the public. I know, its really amazing but true. If you buy one and maintain it properly, you could pass it on to your grandchildren.

Some good ones are PSA, DPMS and Rock River Arms. There are many more. You might go to your local gun store and look at one. There are usually people in these stores that know what they are talking about and can advise you further. Isn't free enterprise amazing?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    You can build an MP5 but it won't be cheap and it won't be easy. One of these days I'll build one... maybe...
    Here's where you should look to get an idea on parts and prices.
    MP5 Parts Kits

Building an AR is cake.

jocmurph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    Indy Northside
    USDS has classes to build your own upper and lower.. $20 3-4 hours with Pizza and drinks furnished. Really enjoyable class.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member~~ [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Gunsite graduate[FONT=&amp] ~~[/FONT]Certified Glock armorer
    NRA Certified pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] ~~[/FONT]1911 Mechanic

Where can I find this info?

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    I don't even know what SBR means.

Short barreled rifle, to legally build a short barreled rifle you have pay uncle sam $200 and wait 6 to 8 months for his approval.

I hate acronyms as well
    I especially hate how technology is more advanced than ever, and people are getting so lazy they can't spell words out with technology that makes it easier.

bat54r

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I don't even know what SBR means.

short barrel rifle, while these can be cool it requires an NFA stamp which is more money/paperwork. Without going into to much detail it's a barrel under 16 inches, if it were me I would stick with 16 plus. Do some research and narrow down your options but I do agree with those on here that say stick with an AR platform, simple and fairly inexpensive to build/buy.

echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    You can build an MP5 but it won't be cheap and it won't be easy. One of these days I'll build one... maybe...
    Here's where you should look to get an idea on parts and prices.
    MP5 Parts Kits

Building an AR is cake.

Hop, Very interesting site for the HK parts! Couple questions I'm hoping you can answer.....are the MP5 build kits the remnants of old/used military &/or police trade-ins? If someone buys a kit and one of the 'flat-pattern' receivers, I assume that the builder is in violation of the law once they bend/weld the receiver and assemble the kit unless they are licensed to manufacture class III? I love the idea of building of building an MP5, but that whole prison/forced-sodomy thing doesn't sound very nice.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    if your thinking about the hk route you can throw out the concept of affordable kits alone start at $1500 and nearly an additional 1k for semi and 922r parts... still can be built with common tools yet bending jigs for flat builds are highly recommended i made a g3 a few years back cost more than what a complete one sells for but it was a fun build.... AR-AK route for your very first build cost the same ak tools being what brings them near the same price. I a huge ak fan built over 20 and have about half that still waiting to be built but its a good way to build those un common clones every one wants tabuks, kyber pass, ak100's series, rpk74's, ect... yet still a difficult build id considered a FAL over a hk build i had plenty of issues building my g3 but i learn a lot and learned to correct them whatever you pick you will pick up a lot and gain a greater appreciation for the weapon....

but theres tons of options i started with a Sten mkIII as my first kit build

Glocker1986

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    Hop, Very interesting site for the HK parts! Couple questions I'm hoping you can answer.....are the MP5 build kits the remnants of old/used military &/or police trade-ins? If someone buys a kit and one of the 'flat-pattern' receivers, I assume that the builder is in violation of the law once they bend/weld the receiver and assemble the kit unless they are licensed to manufacture class III? I love the idea of building of building an MP5, but that whole prison/forced-sodomy thing doesn't sound very nice.

I'm not hop but I can share some info. Yes, most every parts kit is a demilled
    mil/leo gun. I sent my flat to Ident marking for sbr engraving. I figured I would rather
    trust the post office with a $200 flat than my $1500 upper. When the flat came back
    from Ident I had my mp5 built as a pistol by Jeff and gave the stock to a friend until my for
    form 1 to come back. There is plenty of information out there about making your own
    short barrel rifle via ATF form 1 so I'm not going to go into that but
    it is perfectly legal. As far as parts kits go I would try to get one from
    lsc manufacturing. They include a flat and weld kit with their mp5 parts kits and are
    still considerably cheaper than hkparts.net, the only downside is
    you dont get a mag with their kits. hkparts.net is a good resource for hard to
    find items but it is the last place I look due to them being very expensive.
    I try to buy hk items at rtg parts or gunshows. feel free to message
    me if you have any questions. my mp5 clone is the 3rd
    most expensive in my safe and my favorite gun by far.

Last edited:

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I think the main consideration is the money. You're going to be in the 2k to 2.5k range for a good MP5 clone. I've shot both the MP5 and AR's chambered in 9mm, and in my opinion, the MP5 is better, hands down. Much smoother shooting gun. Unfortunately, the MKE's are imported any longer, as you used to be able to get into one of those for around $1,100.00.

If you had the money, I'd go MP5. If you don't, or really want to do the building yourself, AR is the way to go. To build an MP5, you need the parts kit, a receiver flat, bending jigs and you have to have access to a 20-30 ton press and be a halfway decent welder. Then it still has to be finished.

Top Bottom