AR owners: what .22lr ammo functions best in your .22 kits?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I've tried several brands. The Federal from Wal-mart seems to keep up; but, I have yet to try any high velocity brands.

Are there any high velocity .22lr brands that function VERY consistently in an AR kit?

If you have a brand to tell, please post experiences.

I've been working with a couple new shooters and we've been using a .22 kit exclusively to learn function and form; as well as, just getting experience for cheap on the AR. WITHOUT breaking my bank..

please advise.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    I just ordered my conversion kit today. Hopefully it will be in before I go to the range on Wednesday. I have a few big boxes of Federal... I'll let you know how they work out.

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    The BIGGEST thing to remember is only use full jacketed bullets. Lead nose bullets will cause alot of dust and will clog your gas tube.

If you shoot lead nose .22lr you should chase a few 5.56/.223 down the barrel every hundred or so just to blow the dust out of the tube.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Eley sport is what ended up functioning flawlessly in my .22 conversion and my Henry survival rifle (back when I still had it.) My Colt AR has a pretty low mass hammer though so it was more finicky than normal.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    Mine likes CCi ,Federal bulk pack, pretty much will function with anything I have fed it so far. Its most accurate w/Eley sport then Armscorp Precision,then Federal. My GSG loves the Armscorp stuff and the Eley for accuracy and CCI for plinking.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    My CMMG Stainless conversion has been SO reliable its rediculous really.

Took it out last week, and I grabbed a random bucket of 22lr, and everything was going fine, but then... something didnt eject.

got it rolling again, happened again.

huh. odd.

finally figured it out.

There were some .22 shorts in the bucket, and since it was raining the whole time I wasnt paying attention :)

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I've never had problems with Federal or Winchester 333. I buy both of them in the bulk box and am always happy with them.

Mine does not like the Remington Yellow Jacket ammo.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    My TacSol .22 upper has been flawless running Blazer lead roundnose thru it. About 500-600 rounds so far. I believe they are 40 gr. bullets.

Wasn't aware of the possible lead dust problem using unplated ammo though. Good to know.:yesway: I did run about 100 rounds of .223 thru it since shooting it last Friday at FNS. I experienced no problems.

Anyone ran any Stingers thru their .22 upper or conversion?

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    My TacSol .22 upper has been flawless running Blazer lead roundnose thru it. About 500-600 rounds so far. I believe they are 40 gr. bullets.

Wasn't aware of the possible lead dust problem using unplated ammo though. Good to know.:yesway: I did run about 100 rounds of .223 thru it since shooting it last Friday at FNS. I experienced no problems.

Anyone ran any Stingers thru their .22 upper or conversion?

Agreed abouts the dust issue.
    it may Just need a new round nose capped ammo.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Wasn't aware of the possible lead dust problem using unplated ammo though. Good to know.:yesway:

An author in SWAT Magazine once suggested that .22 conversion owners run an "Honest Abe" drill at the conclusion of every range session where they used a .22 conversion in their 5.56.

The drill consists of shooting $5 worth of 5.56 during your final drill, before you case your rifle for the day.

You do this for two reasons:

• To blow out any built-up lead residue from the unused gas port and gas tube.
    • To remind your body and muscles what the 5.56 recoil impulse feels like.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    When is mdfi coming to town again?

They will be at Marion County Fish & Game in June for Defensive Shotgun. Tom and Trek will be teaching the class, as Steve is now with Magpul Dynamics.

We don't currently have anything in the works for Dad's range.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    They will be at Marion County Fish & Game in June for Defensive Shotgun. Tom and Trek will be teaching the class, as Steve is now with Magpul Dynamics.

We don't currently have anything in the works for Dad's range.

Wow
    go Steve
    we need discounts

LOL
    your dad needs magpul down!

I'm feeling the need for verbal abuse and sarcastic mocking again.

Top Bottom