• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    Hey INGOers, I have an AR pistol in 5.56. The upper is an M1S with an 11.5" barrel. The lower is a Superior Arms standard mil spec but with a padded buffer tube versus stock. Its rockin quadrail and feels very carbine ish.

My question is that I thought all standard pistol rules apply. Hence no forward grip? Doed this only mean vertical grip? I saw some for sale recently being advertised with Magpul AFGs. Is this OK? What about a grip bipod? I would like to use a forward grip, but not if its going to be illegal. Also are bipods in general accepted.

Thanks

ArmedRPh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    I had the same question back in May so I contacted the BATFE. I posted the resultant letter in the Class III section of the site. Sorry I'm not sure how to link to it. It was in May if that helps your search.

Short answer, is that the ATF doesn't consider the AFG a vertical grip and you are GTG with one. As always, the letter I posted only applies to my specific question and you are taking your freedom at your own risk...AKA I'm not a lawyer and it's your a$$.

inccwchris

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Southside of Indiana
    Short answer No, dont even think about it. Long answer, No, BATFE considers that an AOW. When it is configured without the forward grip it is designed so that it can be fired one handed. According to ATF logic, adding a forward grip somehow changes the design of the gun so that it is intended to be fired two handed. I would avoid any kind of forward grip unless you went ahead and paid the AOW tax stamp. I believe that is a whopping five bucks.

ArmedRPh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    As goofy as it sounds, the ATF does not consider the Magpul AFG (Angled Fore Grip) a vertical fore grip. The law states that you cannot add a Vertical Fore Grip to a pistol, it doesn't say anything about a Angled Fore Grip, consequently the AFG is OK on a pistol...right now.

Top Bottom