AR Pistol Build - Can you use any stripped lower?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rabbitdave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Zionsville, IN
    I keep reading about AR pistol builds people are doing on multi-caliber stripped AR lowers. I have a few lowers floating around and would like to make them into pistols, but I thought since I did not designate them as pistols when I picked them up from the FFL, and they were not marked as pistol lowers, that I could not use them for a pistol lower. If I wanted to use them, I would have to get a tax stamp and SBR it because there is no way to change a rifle to a pistol.

Am I wrong?

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Stripped lowers should be sold as "other", not pistol or long gun. If it has never had a stock on it, you can use it for a pistol build. I think you are overthinking this. It has never been a rifle, ergo it can be built as a pistol.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but this is how I understand it to work.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I believe as long as it has never had a stock (not a pistol buffer) on it you are good to go and you dont need to worry about the FFL doing anything. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

djhuckle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012
    My FFL designates all the stripped lowers as pistols. This way it can go pistol or long gun.

To be clear, I believe that if it's designated as "other" or "pistol" it is ok - if "long gun", it cannot. You can build a long gun out of a lower that is designated as any of these, but if you build a pistol (with a "pistol" or "other" lower) then take the same lower and make a long gun (16" barrel and stock) - you can re-make it a pistol by removing the stock first apparently, but some people say you can't turn it back into a pistol.

http://www.atf.gov/files/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf

It's a logic problem

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Per the ATF opinion, a rifle is always a rifle. UNLESS it starts a pistol.

You can go pistol to rifle back to pistol, as far as I'm understanding the opinion. However, you may not build a rifle, then convert it to a pistol. Some people say this only applies to guns sold as a kit, however if I remember correctly it mentions AR style rifles in there.

As for building the pistol, as long as it's never had a rifle/carbine BUFFER TUBE it can be a pistol. The stock is not what defines the rifle, it's the ability to accept a stock.

This is NOT legal advice. If you want legal advice, contact a lawyer who deals with NFA and firearms laws.

Top Bottom