• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but I've run searches and just can't find it.

I have my lifetime carry permit and own several hand guns. I also own many long guns, including a couple AR's.

I have this "want" all the sudden for an AR pistol and want to build it myself. I understand that you cannot take a lower that has had a rifle upper without filing a Form 1 and paying $200. That is not what I want to do. Instead, I'd like to take a virgin lower and build a pistol. I've recently ordered several stripped lowers that will be at my FFL either late this week or next week. Am I understanding this correctly, that if I have him register a lower as a "pistol", that I can then build an AR pistol on that lower only (understanding that it can NEVER be made into a rifle without proper ATF paperwork). By doing so, is it then no different than owning any other pistol that I own, in that there is no additional paperwork (beyond FFL transfer) or fees (i.e. no $200 ATF fee)?

I just want to make sure that if I decide to build one, that all is legal. Anyone able to clarify this? Thanks!:cool:

mjelder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    West lafayette/Columbus
    I know in texas (where i'm currently working) This is all true. If you buy or make an ar pistol, it is illegal to put a stock on it as it would be considered a short barrel rifle. The way I have come to understand it in indiana and texas, all the paperwork will be run the same way as if you were buying any other pistol. No fees and no additional paperwork.

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    when you purchase a stripped lower receiver it will be recorded (not registered) on the 4473 as 'other.' the options are handgun, long gun, and other.

it is up to the end user what the receiver becomes.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    when you purchase a stripped lower receiver it will be recorded (not registered) on the 4473 as 'other.' the options are handgun, long gun, and other.

it is up to the end user what the receiver becomes.

That is what I was thinking from the way I interpreted ATF documents on AR15 com. I just wanted to make sure.

It would be a pistol with no intention of turning it into a SBR, without first going through all the ATF Form 1 stuff should I ever change my mind.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I really wish ATF would either admit to the second amendment or make a statement regarding just this subject, if you take a "lower" that was used with a pistol upper and install a standard AR upper, you now have a rifle, and if you take that upper off, remove any stock you might have installed, and put the pistol upper back on, you now have a pistol.

Reason I bring this up is the Beretta Neos Pistol/Carbine. Take the pistol receiver, remove the barrel, then remove the pistol grip and install a rifle butt stock, then install the carbine barrel and you now have a legal Neos Carbine. Remove the stock, then remove the barrel, install the pistol stock and then the pistol barrel and you now are back to the original pistol.

ATF approved this if done in this order, and we all know that if we don't do it in that order, there will immediately be flash-bang grenades breaking our windows followed by big men in black outfits with Chevy Blazers digging ruts in our lawns.

Seriously, if ATF approved the Beretta Neos to go between pistol and carbine, I can't see why you couldn't do the same with an AR pistol.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    . . . Seriously, if ATF approved the Beretta Neos to go between pistol and carbine, I can't see why you couldn't do the same with an AR pistol.

Applying logic to the ATF is an oxymoron (and often a recipe for trouble).

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    I really don't want to debate ATF rules vs the 2nd Amendment. We all know that logic and common sense go out the window with anything government related.

I just want to make sure my build is legal within the rules so that there is no trouble down the road. I've got enough rifles and pistols that the ability to swap one direction and back again with one lower is of little to no interest to me. :cool:

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Your safest bet is to simply buy a "pistol" lower, ie one that was engraved/registered/whatever at the factory.

THEN after you have the pistol lower in your possession, order your pistol upper, having a pistol upper in your possession, but no pistol lower constitutes (or could be construed to constitute) intent to build an illegal SBR.

Top Bottom