• ...and so much more!
  • Grimmis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2015
    New Haven
    Hi,
    I am new to the forum and just had a quick question. I just completed an 80% lower and sent it in for engraving. I made sure to have pistol engraved in it, just as a precaution. I am wondering if there are any legal issues I should worry about. I know I can not put a stock on it and no fore grip. I just want to make sure I am on the right path.

Also any recommendations for my build? I am pretty sure I am going 10.5 barrel, but I am stuck between going .223/5.56 or .300. I have a lot of .223 ammo, my only concern is availability and price of the .300.

Thanks in advance!

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    If you reload go 300BLK. You can convert fired .223 cases to Blackout cases pretty easily. 300BLK also allows you to go shorter. My understanding is that it was designed to thrive in ~9" barrels.

If you don't reload and don't plan on it, then go .223/5.56. That being said, I just started reloading a few months ago, and am in the process of building a 300BLK pistol. I am converting my own brass to reload.

You don't need to have it engraved pistol. There is nothing requiring that. No stock and no VERTICAL fore grip. Lots of guys put angled fore grips on their pistols.

Grimmis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2015
    New Haven
    I plan on purchasing a reloading kit soon. So I'm pretty sure I am going to go .300 blackout. Any opinions on who to get a decent priced complete upper?

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I would try palmetto, they are always my go to for a starting point when trying to save money... I have a 10" upper from aero precision, I got it on sale though, otherwise I'd recommend them! The new BCM uppers are sweet but they are well north of $600 more like 7 with BCG and CH...

I'm sure you'll love your 300blk! Nothing a whole lot more fun than shooting subs for me, and it's a great round to hunt with.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Cmmg offers the MK47 in a 10 inch upper now too... Its my poor man 300 blackout in 7.62x39 lol but now that I think about it,, I guess it doesn't matter because you already have the lower.

Indianasteve

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2015
    Central Indiana
    I got a 300blkout upper from radical firearms, 10.5" barrel, free float hand guard, no charge handle and no Bcg. Only paid $199 for it. Had to wait about 3 weeks for it. Hopefully can try it out this weekend. I can let you know how it does if you're interested.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Yea Palmetto has great offerings but it's often hard to catch what you want in stock. I just ordered a Radical Firearms 8.5" 300BLK upper, with Seekins MCSR Keymod rail from Primary Arms. Haven't heard all that much about Radical Firearms, but other than negative reviews about their customer service, their offerings seem to be of good quality, for the price.

I ordered through Primary Arms to avoid the long shipping wait, and potential issues with RF customer service. Primary Arms has carried Radical Firearms stuff for at least a year now, so if they back the products I'm confident they are G2G.

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    If you reload go 300BLK. You can convert fired .223 cases to Blackout cases pretty easily. 300BLK also allows you to go shorter. My understanding is that it was designed to thrive in ~9" barrels.

If you don't reload and don't plan on it, then go .223/5.56. That being said, I just started reloading a few months ago, and am in the process of building a 300BLK pistol. I am converting my own brass to reload.

You don't need to have it engraved pistol. There is nothing requiring that. No stock and no VERTICAL fore grip. Lots of guys put angled fore grips on their pistols.

^ this is correct. I will add one caveat though --- If your AR pistol gets to be 26"+ but has a barrel under 16" it is considered a "firearm" (neither rifle nor pistol, not an AOW, not an SBR). It's essentially a long pistol, but at 26"+ the assumption of concealability disappears. Still no buttstock though - that would be an SBR.
    So, if it's TOTAL length w/o flash hider is over 26" you CAN put a vertical foregrip on it. Some folks prefer to avoid the "appearance of evil" and just stick to the angled foregrip.
    I'll put a couple links below.
    BTW I used a Midwest industries pistol buffer tube (slightly longer than a carbine buffer, and with a "shoulder" intended to be used with a SB15 brace), plus a 10.5" barrel and that puts me at 26.5" not counting the flash hider. I put on a thordsen saddle instead of the SB15. This setup gives me the OPTION to put on a vertical foregrip should I choose.
    It MAY exclude me from using it as a hunting pistol in certain states if their rules specify that a "pistol" must be under 26" -- although not all states clarify this.

AR-15 Pistols ? Clearing Up Some Misconceptions | Jerking the Trigger

Indianasteve

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2015
    Central Indiana
    Hi Grimmis, I got to shoot the Radical Firearms 10.5" blkout upper today! I actually bought 2 of them. Lol....I ran 50 rnds through each Freedom Munitions Reman 147 gr. Fmj. Had one fte on about the 3rd round. It barely got caught by the bolt. I'm thinking its from break in period. Ran nice after that. I'm not that experienced with 300 blk but I'm really diggin' it. I think I'll be spending a lot of time with this in the future. I can see why it's catching on in the gun world.... Suppress and Sbr.... This is starting to sound like my next project. I can't say much about accuracy yet, but I was only shooting water bottles and jugs at about 35 yards standing. I'm sure that the accuracy would be gtg. The price is pretty awesome for this upper. I'm happy with it so far and would recommend it to others. I'm also planning on reloading 300 blk. I just need to get to Apache tactical in Nashville to get the powder for it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom