• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • valmoth

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    This is the second update on AR price tracking.

On December 28th I decided to track the final sales price of ARs to determine when we may peak on the current crazy price situation. I tagged bids on GB for a standard Bushmaster 16" E2S NIB-- no used guns, no special add-ons like optics, just a vanilla .223 that would typically retail prior to the crisis at something under $1000.

I took an average of those bids on days where I was able to find at least six representative transactions that closed for this rifle. I did not include any data where the final bid was under the reserve, nor did I include any data from sellers who did not have at least one point of feedback.

The averages over the last twenty days are as follows:

avgpricejan18_zps7e5200ef.jpg

As you can see, the prices peaked on December 29th, and have been decreasing (on average) through January 6. However, they started to march back up on January 8 and hit another high point on January 15-- the day before the announcement in DC. Today the average price for six of these representative transactions was $1666.

I intend to track this data another 10 days to see if this trend continues, or if we see a spike back up as we hear about the likelihood of legislation passing in Washington.

For those interested, the lowest sales price in the past ten days was $1260, and the highest was $2,275.

Ripper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    Earth
    I think it's going to spike again, the people that didn't bother to watch the Obummer address, or just believe everything they hear, are in full panic attack at the moment!

Unobogus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012

On December 28th I decided to track the final sales price of ARs to determine when we may peak on the current crazy price situation. I tagged bids on GB for a standard Bushmaster 16" E2S NIB-- no used guns, no special add-ons like optics, just a vanilla .223 that would typically retail prior to the crisis at something under $1000.

I took an average of those bids on days where I was able to find at least six representative transactions that closed for this rifle. I did not include any data where the final bid was under the reserve, nor did I include any data from sellers who did not have at least one point of feedback.

As you can see, the prices peaked on December 29th, and have been decreasing (on average) through January 6. However, they started to march back up on January 8 and hit another high point on January 15-- the day before the announcement in DC. Today the average price for six of these representative transactions was $1666.

I intend to track this data another 10 days to see if this trend continues, or if we see a spike back up as we hear about the likelihood of legislation passing in Washington.

For those interested, the lowest sales price in the past ten days was $1260, and the highest was $2,275.

Pretty cool you do this, thanks.

Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

So when I price mine at $2,000 tomorrow at the 1500 and someone offers me $1,800, I should know they are just an informed buyer and offering the average price????:rockwoot:

achilles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    I think panic buyers will start to thin out. A friend in Colorado called me yesterday...never owned a gun before and he just purchased AR for $2,500. He is already rethinking his purchase...he can't even afford ammo to go shoot it. I am betting he isn't alone.

BTW, thanks for posting the info OP...very interesting.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    That's good data, thanks for posting. I thought about selling one of my AR's, but I have what I've always wanted and I can't bring myself to sell just to make a few bucks when I have what I want.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Reppage. Thanks. Very interesting to see actual data. This tracks with what I was sensing that it had started to settle a bit but then BHO chased the prices back up.

Top Bottom