• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • valmoth

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    This is the third and final update on AR price tracking.

On December 28th I decided to track the final sales price of ARs to determine when we may peak on the current crazy price situation. I tagged bids on GB for a standard Bushmaster 16" E2S NIB-- no used guns, no special add-ons like optics, just a vanilla .223 that would typically retail prior to the crisis at something under $1000.

I took an average of those bids on days where I was able to find at least six representative transactions that closed for this rifle. I did not include any data where the final bid was under the reserve, nor did I include any data from sellers who did not have at least one point of feedback.

The averages over the last three months are as follows:

chartmarch_zpsb08765d0.jpg

As you can see, the prices peaked on December 29th, dipped and then another local high point on January 14th, the day before the 23 presidential executive orders were announced.

Prices have been decreasing since that time, and have been hovering around $1000 over the past week.

My assessment is that the price bubble for AR's has been deflated. While ammo prices are still generally high, the price of AR's appear to be at or near their retail offerings. I'm concluding the study of AR prices given this conclusion.

Have you been patient enough to wait for this trend to play out to make a purchase of an AR, or did you pick one up when it was 2x retail? Or, did you take advantage of the trend and sell an AR at the peak?

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Thanks for keeping us up to date.
    I've been telling my son to wait. He's wanted an AR for a long time and was going to use his tax refund to get one in Feb. I told him to hang on for another 2-3 months until prices came down.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Was lucky enough to finish my wife's AR build just prior to the madness. Now I'm just waiting on ammo prices to return to somewhat normal.

kman1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    This is the third and final update on AR price tracking.

On December 28th I decided to track the final sales price of ARs to determine when we may peak on the current crazy price situation. I tagged bids on GB for a standard Bushmaster 16" E2S NIB-- no used guns, no special add-ons like optics, just a vanilla .223 that would typically retail prior to the crisis at something under $1000.

I took an average of those bids on days where I was able to find at least six representative transactions that closed for this rifle. I did not include any data where the final bid was under the reserve, nor did I include any data from sellers who did not have at least one point of feedback.

The averages over the last three months are as follows:

chartmarch_zpsb08765d0.jpg

As you can see, the prices peaked on December 29th, dipped and then another local high point on January 14th, the day before the 23 presidential executive orders were announced.

Prices have been decreasing since that time, and have been hovering around $1000 over the past week.

My assessment is that the price bubble for AR's has been deflated. While ammo prices are still generally high, the price of AR's appear to be at or near their retail offerings. I'm concluding the study of AR prices given this conclusion.

Have you been patient enough to wait for this trend to play out to make a purchase of an AR, or did you pick one up when it was 2x retail? Or, did you take advantage of the trend and sell an AR at the peak?

I just sat back and watched this
    I know back in january i was in a gun store and the salesman was caring on about the upcoming ban and I mentioned to him that nothing has been passed and he still proceeded to tell me how i should buy now at stupid high prices, because as he put it " they ain't ever gonna be less than this again" ( like $1800 for a $700 AR15 ---- right )

and actually i already have a couple of these things --- i went thru this in 94 when they really did pass a ban

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    I got lucky and paid pre panic prices from an INGO member just before all this crap happened, thank goodness for that since i was able to then part ways with more money to buy an acog! oh its just paper, it'll soon be worth nothing, so get it while we arent bankrupt!

jordyman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2011
    Spencer
    Gun price is one thing....

But damn if the ammo isnt as insane as ever. Im working at a slaughter house and we use .22 and the last brick we picked up was $50. It makes me sick:ar15:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I sold mine during the panic mostly because I knew it was going to be a safe queen and I had other firearms I "needed" so that I could shoot some matches this year.

But with ammo the way it is, I might just build another one since it isn't looking good for matches this season.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There were colt ar's going for 1200 at the auction i attended on saturday. though bricks of 22 were going for 120+ :dunno: in due time in due time

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Are we going to see the price fall to pre-panic levels? Or will it level out at above what it was. say $900-$1000 for one that was going for $700-$800...

Noway Jose

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I put this graph into practice this weekend! I picked up an AR saturday from Beech Grove at a very reasonable price. Waiting a couple months was definitely worth saving several hundred dollars.

Now it's time to :ar15:

Top Bottom