• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GAM3INO

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2011
    Crown Point
    First off, I'm sorry if this is the dumbest questions ever...

Im on my first AR, and have a 6" drop in quad rail on it right now. I really need a longer rail than that. I want a 9"-11" rail and started thinking about the gas block. 1.) How do I move the quad rail forward to accommodate the new rail once its purchased? 2.) Is it hard to instal a new gas tube? Im only assuming ill need a longer gas tube because of the longer rail. Thank you guys for any help you can give me.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Ok, first a couple things.

I'm guessing you probably currently have a 7" rail, as that would be for a "carbine-length" gas system.

Also, you can't change your gas system length by simply buying a longer gas tube.

Am I correct in assuming you have a fixed A2 front-sight base installed? If so, you'll have a couple of options.

You can either A) remove the A2 FSB and install a low-profile gas block in its place, or B) take a dremel to it and cut down the existing FSB such that a longer rail can cover it.

Either way, you'll need a 10"+ rail to cover everything up nicely.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Do you have a fixed front sight base?

Never mind. You need to hook up with someone with experience, or pay to have the work done.

GAM3INO

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2011
    Crown Point
    No it's not fixed, I have a low pro gas block. And its actually a 6 1/8" rail from Midwest Industries. It's probably quoted as a 7" rail, but it is definitely not.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    No it's not fixed, I have a low pro gas block.

If you already have a low-profile gas block, then all you need is a longer rail-- no modifications required.

But it would sure be odd to have a 7" (or 6 1/8") rail with a low-profile gas block sticking out of it. Especially since you said the rail was "drop in". Do you have a picture of the gun?

GAM3INO

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2011
    Crown Point
    It's what I consider a drop in. It's not a free float rail...

d3a8bdc4.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    It's what I consider a drop in. It's not a free float rail...

Pictures are indeed worth 1000 words. ;)

Ok, that's not a low-profile gas block. That is a railed gas block. Unfortunately a longer rail won't fit over it.

So you'll need to replace your gas block with a low-profile one, like this:

IMG_2317%20Stick.jpg

After that you'll need a 10"+ free-floating rail. Then you'll be g2g. :yesway:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Ahha. Thank you so much for your help!! Is there a certain block you recommend?

Not really. Troy, Daniel Defense, Noveske, Spike's, LaRue, whatever.

shooter521 might have a recommendation based on ease of installation.

GAM3INO

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2011
    Crown Point

Ok, sounds good. Thank you again for everything. It's you and the people like you that make this site so great!

Lodogg2221

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Kokomo
    Just wondering, what all are you putting on the rail that you need such a long rail?

I had a hard time deciding on what rail to get for mine, and in the end, price won, but I still got what I wanted, an oval rail from Double Star.
    One of these days Ill get an Omega rail, but all Ive got is a light and a grip...not much else I can think of that Id want out there...but Im always open to being talked into stuff....

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Just wondering, what all are you putting on the rail that you need such a long rail?

Longer rails are less about needing space for "stuff", and more about being able get the support hand further out toward the end of the barrel, thereby providing enhanced control.

GAM3INO

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2011
    Crown Point

I had a hard time deciding on what rail to get for mine, and in the end, price won, but I still got what I wanted, an oval rail from Double Star.
    One of these days Ill get an Omega rail, but all Ive got is a light and a grip...not much else I can think of that Id want out there...but Im always open to being talked into stuff....

I don't have much more on my rail than you, but I do have really long arms. I'm 6'4" and have really long arms, and just feel too cramped up when trying to shoot.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US

IME, the Troy is among the lowest profiles out there, in addition to being pretty affordable. I've encountered some "low profile" blocks that would not fit under certain rails. Midwest Industries and LaRue come immediately to mind.

Troy-Low-Profile-Gas-Block1_220.jpg

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US

The VLTOR block is extremely nice and looks cool, but is :spend:

The Spikes block you linked to would not work with the OP's rifle, since his barrel has a .750" gas block seat rather than the .625". Also, since the gas block is going to be hidden under a quad rail, it would make accessing the gas adjustment feature a bit of a pain.

GAM3INO

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2011
    Crown Point
    IME, the Troy is among the lowest profiles out there, in addition to being pretty affordable. I've encountered some "low profile" blocks that would not fit under certain rails. Midwest Industries and LaRue come immediately to mind.

Troy-Low-Profile-Gas-Block1_220.jpg

AWESOME!!! Thanks Shooter!!!

Top Bottom