• ...and so much more!
  • gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    FWIW, a 1/4"x3-3 1/3" bolt with the threads cut off and a hole drilled to pass the spring and detent thru makes an good front take down pin tool.

34vydvn.jpg

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Dont get me wrong, having ALL the proper tools are great. But not a necessity. You can build an AR without them, its just a little harder. Just like you can change a tire without an impact wrench. the 4 way is fine for the occasional tire change, but if you are doing brake jobs on your cars every 6 months that impact wrench really speeds things up.

If you just want to build one, you dont need all the specialized tools. But if you plan on essentially building a small armory, the extra tools are handy. (but Ive never had to re-cut/clean up my pistol grip threads. That seemed just crazy to me)
    There’s legitimately no need for the majority of specialized tools to assemble the occasional AR15. I hardly even have to break out the pin punches anymore. I’ve done three this year with nothing more than pliers, a small tack hammer and properly sized wrenches for the barrel nut (free float not OE type handguards)

is it “proper” nope. But it works and they all shoot just fine.

JamesV

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    The Region
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p8sY5CQmlHI&t=3213s

This video is perfect. Great camera angles, no flashy crap and music, no begging you to follow the page, no idle chatter, just a perfect video on how to put your parts together.

I only own one AR and I built/assembled it using this vid. It runs great. Aero Precision lower and upper, BCM lower kit, Spinta Precision barrel, so-on and so-forth.

+1 on the help of this video

Also I'm sure if you post location people would lend a hand and tools to help you out

Last edited:

AjKilgore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2019
    Northern Area
    Bought my first AR, learned it and got very familiar with cleaning and stripping it. Then built my 2nd one. I honestly find it a lot of work and so i bough completed top and bottom for my 3rd.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So many schools of thought. Jack wagon assembly versus doing it the right way.
    I decided a hundred years ago or so that if I was going to do something I would be properly tooled up to do the task I was putting before me. Cars/boats/motorcycles/remodeling/guns........if it is to be done properly then yes there are tools you will need to do the task......properly.
    Especially if you are doing the tasks more than one time. Get the tools.
    To say you dont just does not ring clearly with me.

If you are going to assemble the AR yes you can fuddle it together...."ON THE CHEAP".....but seriously. You tell me you have the barrel nut in torque spec with a wrench and a pair of pliers..........:bs:

They make assembly blocks for a reason.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have had very good luck putting together mine. Went to a couple AR building classes and get-togethers, along with an unofficial AR armorer's class.

I had smart folks (that are INGO well known) guide me through my initial builds. They had tools and helpful advice.

Word to the wise. Stuff does go wrong. Springs and plungers get mixed up, triggers installed incorrectly and little parts fly away.

A smart thing to have for your completed gun is one of backup spring and plunger kits, even smarter if you buy it before you build, just in case. ;)

I build my guns with mostly moderately expensive components and have never had an issue with function. You do hear stories though of guys throwing together frankenguns that never run well.

Bingo.
    I have spring and pin kits for AR's and 1911's at the ready. The recoil plunger retention spring/pin is my nemesis.

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    Have purchased many an Anderson Lower Receiver here locally from FFL, Rural King or Cabelas. And have used the PSA complete (or almost complete, minus BCG, CH and possibly sights) upper receiver groups without any problem. Some of the kits at PSA include everything except the Lower Receiver. A wrench for the castle nut would be nice to have, or borrow one. Roll pin punches make it a little easier to install the roll pins.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    I would consider it more assembling, but id be lying if i never said "i built this AR"... ha.
    As other have stated:
    AR armorers wrench
    ar vise block
    possibly a torque wrench(for barrel nut)
    go/ no-go gauge
    punch set

Big fan of the Magpul tools. made in USA and all.

Top Bottom