• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    So upon loading my first batch of .223 this weekend, I made up a dummy round to make sure the C.O.L. would be ok and load in my gun. Upon removing said load, I noticed a scratch on the bullet itself. I tried the bullet several times and it scratched the same way every time. I assume this has to do with a bur or something on the feed ramp but wanted to check with you folks first. When I got to the range, I had to eject a tulammo round and it had the exact same scratch. Ill get photos tonight. If its a bur on the ramps, thats something I can just knock off and polish up, right?

Thanks in advance.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    I know someone who used a chamber brush and a wire fell off it and laid in there. It was scratching the brass until he located it and removed it.

I'd look it over good. Take it down and see what you can with your eye first then use your finger. Just my suggestion.

Dss21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    I have a factory built RRA that does the same thing. I hunt with it so I chamber a round and often eject the same round. It shoots fine so i never worried about it . Not saying its rite, just didnt seem to affect anything.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    It shoots fine. There are some pictures of targets I shot this weekend in the ammo section under "my first reloads". My concern is more along the line of when I pick up some better quality components and start working towards better accuracy.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    20130204_175752.jpg

Heres the bullet. I colored it with a sharpie so the scratch would stand out a bit.

-Rogue-

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    So upon loading my first batch of .223 this weekend, I made up a dummy round to make sure the C.O.L. would be ok and load in my gun. Upon removing said load, I noticed a scratch on the bullet itself. I tried the bullet several times and it scratched the same way every time. I assume this has to do with a bur or something on the feed ramp but wanted to check with you folks first. When I got to the range, I had to eject a tulammo round and it had the exact same scratch. Ill get photos tonight. If its a bur on the ramps, thats something I can just knock off and polish up, right?

Thanks in advance.

If you are using metal magazines, the scratch can be coming from the lip as the bullet is extracted from the magazine. My GI magazines do it to all of my 223 rounds.

Seeing as to how most only get scratched once, I don't care. :ar15:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I think xring called it right. When the bolt pulls it out the ejector plunger pushes it hard against the teeth on the barrel extension. It is being scratched as it pulls out, something that will never happen when you are actually shooting.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    I think xring called it right. When the bolt pulls it out the ejector plunger pushes it hard against the teeth on the barrel extension. It is being scratched as it pulls out, something that will never happen when you are actually shooting.
    I'll second that. OP load an empty case into the chamber, then SLOWLY pull the charging handle. If you look into the ejection port while pulling the charging handle you'll see the case neck being dragged down the right side of the chamber. (this is more pronounced with an empty case)

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    My original thought was the magazine until you mentioned pmags. I think xrings answer makes the most sense. Could always try to catch one with your hand like the guy at the indy 1500 to see if theres still a scratch on it. :): :yesway:

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Will the scratches not effect accuracy at all down the road when I start loading more precision rounds? For plinking around and making noise, I don't care.

Top Bottom