• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    So I have posted this question before but I'm frustrated with choosing, cause of the cost and watching YouTube vids, so do I go with trijicon, holoson, sig sauer how do you choose? Wondering if anyone with these sighs on their AR could let me try them just to see how I like them, any input be very helpful

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    So I have posted this question before but I'm frustrated with choosing, cause of the cost and watching YouTube vids, so do I go with trijicon, holoson, sig sauer how do you choose? Wondering if anyone with these sighs on their AR could let me try them just to see how I like them, any input be very helpful

I've gone through holographic (with and w/o magnifier), LPVO scopes, reflex, ACOG, etc, etc. There's always a reason one is better than another at ONE particular point.

How they are chosen can be motivated by a number of factors, not individually but as a whole.

Budget
    Size
    Magnification
    Reticle
    Power Source

Start here: What is the rifle's intended purpose?

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    I've gone through holographic (with and w/o magnifier), LPVO scopes, reflex, ACOG, etc, etc. There's always a reason one is better than another at ONE particular point.

How they are chosen can be motivated by a number of factors, not individually but as a whole.

Budget
    Size
    Magnification
    Reticle
    Power Source

Start here: What is the rifle's intended purpose?
    shtf gun,

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    A few things to consider.

At what distances do you expect to do a majority of your shooting? A red dot is plenty usable at 200 yards and under. You can make hits at longer distances, but if you have a decent amount of property you need to defend then an LPVO gives you magnification and more precision.

Is weight savings important to you? Do you want to be able to patrol a neighborhood, use the rifle getting in and out of vehicles, march around town with your crew? Or will you be hunkered down at home defending a specific structure? Obviously a red dot weighs less than an LPVO or full power scope. If you're bugging in and defending an open field 700 yards long, a red dot probably isn't the best option.

Are you concerned about batteries failing? You can get scopes or LPVOs with illuminated reticles that effectively act as a red dot but have an etched reticle so they can still be used without batteries or illumination.

Your best bet to get exposed to a lot of options is to take a carbine class and see what others are using. I think Revere's Riders has another one planned for later this year. Best bang for your training buck around IMHO.

Personally, I run a Sign Sauer Romeo 5 on my main rifle. It's around $150 with mount and it's been great for me. It has a small footprint, is dead simple to use, and hasn't lost zero after a few thousand rounds. Are there better red dots out there? Of course, but the Sig works fine for my needs. I put it through it's paces again this February in an all day class held in several inches of snow and temps in the mid 20s. I made my hits and would put my accuracy and performance up against anyone else in the class.

I'd really like to try an LPVO too, but there are very few scenarios where I see myself having to engage targets out past 200 yards. I like the weight savings and low profile a red dot offers, so I haven't felt compelled to spend the money yet.

YouTube only shows you so much. As you're finding out, the only way to truly know what will work for you is through trial and error. Get into a class and test your gear. Compare notes with other students.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    A few things to consider.

At what distances do you expect to do a majority of your shooting? A red dot is plenty usable at 200 yards and under. You can make hits at longer distances, but if you have a decent amount of property you need to defend then an LPVO gives you magnification and more precision.

Is weight savings important to you? Do you want to be able to patrol a neighborhood, use the rifle getting in and out of vehicles, march around town with your crew? Or will you be hunkered down at home defending a specific structure? Obviously a red dot weighs less than an LPVO or full power scope. If you're bugging in and defending an open field 700 yards long, a red dot probably isn't the best option.

Are you concerned about batteries failing? You can get scopes or LPVOs with illuminated reticles that effectively act as a red dot but have an etched reticle so they can still be used without batteries or illumination.

Your best bet to get exposed to a lot of options is to take a carbine class and see what others are using. I think Revere's Riders has another one planned for later this year. Best bang for your training buck around IMHO.

Personally, I run a Sign Sauer Romeo 5 on my main rifle. It's around $150 with mount and it's been great for me. It has a small footprint, is dead simple to use, and hasn't lost zero after a few thousand rounds. Are there better red dots out there? Of course, but the Sig works fine for my needs. I put it through it's paces again this February in an all day class held in several inches of snow and temps in the mid 20s. I made my hits and would put my accuracy and performance up against anyone else in the class.

I'd really like to try an LPVO too, but there are very few scenarios where I see myself having to engage targets out past 200 yards. I like the weight savings and low profile a red dot offers, so I haven't felt compelled to spend the money yet.

YouTube only shows you so much. As you're finding out, the only way to truly know what will work for you is through trial and error. Get into a class and test your gear. Compare notes with other students.
    Not sure about about the run and gun or hunker down in a situation yet but I would guess run and gun in a shtf deal, and if I'd like to be able to hit far and close, get quick on the target, and I'm wondering cause Iv seen this if a scope with a red dote mounted on top would work? Or on the side?

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Not sure about about the run and gun or hunker down in a situation yet but I would guess run and gun in a shtf deal, and if I'd like to be able to hit far and close, get quick on the target, and I'm wondering cause Iv seen this if a scope with a red dote mounted on top would work? Or on the side?
    I'm not a fan of the on-top mounts. No consistent cheek weld.

I'm currently testing a 1-6 PA ACSS raptor with Sig Romeo 5 mounted @ 45° in an Arisaka mount as pictured.

I also have a Romeo 5 by itself on a 10.5" setup. I do really like those. They check a lot of boxes for me. I'll eventually try a vortex 3x magnifier with it.

I'm was (and still partial) to EoTechs with and w/o magnifier. I prefer with. I have the most time behind those so maybe favoritism there. I can use the excuse of "testing" to justify my fickleness.
    bfd40ba56b43c4ca8b6a68b11e6ee221.jpg

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    I'm not a fan of the on-top mounts. No consistent cheek weld.

I'm currently testing a 1-6 PA ACSS raptor with Sig Romeo 5 mounted @ 45° in an Arisaka mount.

I also have a Romeo 5 by itself on a 10.5" setup. I do really like those. They check a lot of boxes for me. I'll eventually try a vortex 3x magnifier with it.

I'm was (and still partial) to EoTechs with and w/o magnifier. I prefer with. I have the most time behind those so maybe favoritism there. I can use the excuse of "testing" to justify my fickleness.
    I can see picking a "sight" will be difficult for me, Im looking at the vortex Razor HD Gen II-E says it's good for short to medium range

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I have run the gamut: iron sights, red dots, LPVO. I grew up on irons (of course I did, I'm a boomer) and those would still be my preference if age didn't make them impractical. I like the idea of red dots but again, blaming the eyes, I have an astigmatism so I get a starburst instead of a sharp dot.

I think the attraction to the ACOG and Eotechs is the military grade durability. Some will argue that today's red dots and LPVOs are tough and can withstand rough handling. I don't know, I've always been of the attitude that I will risk my shoulder or arm to protect my firearm. And I've read where it has been said that an ACOG won't hold it's zero. So YMMV.

I have become pretty confident on LPVOs set to 1x power with the illumination set on or off. I like the Viper PST 1-4x24 and also the StrikeEagle 1-6x24. Both are illuminated but have traditional reticles so a dead battery doesn't render them useless. Both are close range but can magnify for longer range duty (the Viper has uncapped turrets so you can adjust elevation easily).

I echo what has been said already upstream - get behind as many examples as you can. Lots of people here have spent a lot of money finding what they like best. Take an educated guess for yourself and start there.

20190105_181454.jpg

Last edited:

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    I have run the gamut: iron sights, red dots, LPVO. I grew up on irons (of course I did, I'm a boomer) and those would still be my preference if age didn't make them impractical. I like the idea of red dots but again, blaming the eyes, I have an astigmatism so I get a starburst instead of a sharp dot.

I think the attraction to the ACOG and Eotechs is the military grade durability. Some will argue that today's red dots and LPVOs are tough and can withstand rough handling. I don't know, I've always been of the attitude that I will risk my shoulder or arm to protect my firearm. And I've read where it has been said that an ACOG won't hold it's zero. So YMMV.

I have become pretty confident on LPVOs set to 1x power with the illumination set on or off. I like the Viper PST 1-4x24 and also the StrikeEagle 1-6x24. Both are illuminated but have traditional reticles so a dead battery doesn't render them useless. Both are close range but can magnify for longer range duty (the Viper has uncapped turrets so you can adjust elevation easily).

I echo what has been said already upstream - get behind as many examples as you can. Lots of people here have spent a lot of money finding what they like best. Take an educated guess for yourself and start there.

View attachment 132530
    I have a stigmatizm also, so not sure how it will effect my eyes, like I said in my last post I'd like to try multiple sights out if I could, wonder if a shop let me try it out just mounted to my gun to see how I like it,

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I have a stigmatizm also, so not sure how it will effect my eyes, like I said in my last post I'd like to try multiple sights out if I could, wonder if a shop let me try it out just mounted to my gun to see how I like it,
    I don't like the starburst effect at all but I heard someone is marketing a red dot that addresses that. And, if your cheek weld is not aligned center on the red dot, you're not going to be very precise. I guess that is true with LVPOs as well but it seems to be less so for me.

If a shop will throw a sight on your rifle for you to test how it fits, I think that will vary from shop to shop. If you have a rifle with a rail, that would make that possibility much better.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    I don't like the starburst effect at all but I heard someone is marketing a red dot that addresses that. And, if your cheek weld is not aligned center on the red dot, you're not going to be very precise. I guess that is true with LVPOs as well but it seems to be less so for me.

If a shop will throw a sight on your rifle for you to test how it fits, I think that will vary from shop to shop. If you have a rifle with a rail, that would make that possibility much better.
    I do, so that will be my game plan, next will be a light oh joy lol

Top Bottom