• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Ok, working on my AR build, and being my first build, it had a few little dings and scratches where something slipped, got through the tape, etc.

What's the best way to touch up a black AR receiver? (anodized I assume)

I'd go the Ceracote route, but it's a factory color-fill receiver and it'd be a pain in the keister to re-do that from the looks of it... Though I do plan to try my hand at color-filling later on...

Thanks!

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Shoot it, Throw it on the ground a couple times, run it through the sand an mud, after that you won't even notice the nicks you put in it building it.

Is it your prom date or a rifle?

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Congratulations on your first build. Just for future reference, roll pin starters, and roll pin punches go a long way to prevent those dings and scratches from happening. Don't ask me how I know.;) I have both. You're welcome to borrow them for your next one.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Congratulations on your first build. Just for future reference, roll pin starters, and roll pin punches go a long way to prevent those dings and scratches from happening. Don't ask me how I know.;) I have both. You're welcome to borrow them for your next one.

Yeah, had some roll pin punches, but were too large (need to get some from Brownells or Midway) and no roll pin starters. I saw some pins being done with vice-grips wrapped in electrical tape and pressed in instead of hammered... Worked well until the tape wore through quicker than I expected, lol.

Hoping I can find a vendor at the 1500 today set up to do AR small part installs, still having a hell of a time with my forward assist... Now I need a new pin for it too... Hoping maybe the guys from DoubleStar are set up to do some light work...

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Shoot it, Throw it on the ground a couple times, run it through the sand an mud, after that you won't even notice the nicks you put in it building it.

Is it your prom date or a rifle?

For a CQB rifle I wouldn't mind so much, this one will be a dedicated bench rifle (I'm not gonna offhand the thing, pics coming soon when more parts arrive....)

As for the custom paint, was going to avoid that so I wouldn't have to re-do the color fill on the engraving.

Menace67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Noblesville
    For real light stuff I have used a sharpee in the past just to get by. I know the feeling thought did the same thing trying to break the castle nut loose on the stock last night. I think the previous owner loctited it pretty well:xmad:

Top Bottom