• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INPatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    God's Country
    My first assembly was not in central air all summer some areas of the house were more humid.
    Some rust has developed on the trigger springs and hammer.

Will Froglube, Remoil, Hoppes, or CLP take it off?

Thanks from an inexperienced yet eager learner.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Use whatever you want to remove the rust on them, and give them a good coat of oil/grease/whatever is appropriate. I usually use a brass brush or some ultra-mega-fine steel wool with a light touch to remove rust.

I know I keep my parts oiled pretty good with EWL2000 and haven't had any rust issues on my AR - but have had tons of issues with sights rusting on my pistols :).

The springs are not very expensive and fairly easy to replace. As far as the trigger - I'm not sure if you can get just an individual trigger itself or if you need a whole new assembly - but maybe it's a good excuse to upgrade [and then keep it properly oiled/lubed] :).

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    any oil and 0000 steel wool will remove rust w/out hurting ANY firearm finish.

For what its worth its probably parkerized, and Parkerizing itself does NOT protect the metal. It actually acts as a durable sponge that is really good at holding oil against the metal which in turn prevents rust. You must keep a parkerized piece oiled to have any corrosion protection.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    ^^^^ WRONG ^^^^ I have been using 0000 steel wool for years to remove rust from MANY finishes. Some people even use it to POLISH certain oil coatings applied to wood stocks. The courser steel wool IS abrasive and should not be used, which is why we recommend 0000.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    That's like saying never use sand paper - it's abrasive and will remove your paint.

Well... What do you think they use between coats of paint and even on the clear coat to smooth it out before polishing?

Try to stay away from generalizations if you can. Not all steel wool is bad but not all steel wool will do this particular task either.

I've never had issues with the finest stuff not removing the finish itself so long as I wasn't putting way too much force behind it.

Top Bottom