• ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Elfmann triggers are probably the best feeling trigger I've tried. Smooth as silk, crisp, short distinct reset. They are on my want short list.

I have a couple RRA, PSA enhanced and a Geiselle SDE. All are nice but that Elfmann.... :drool:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Timney makes a good trigger. For a lot of the AR guys, they're a bit on the light side and don't get recommended much because of that.

And your buddy is wrong. I'd stay away from those RRA aftermarket triggers. A Timney will be a better trigger group. The RRA 2 stages are cheap for a reason. Parts is not parts. You get what you pay for. RRA 2 stages are known to break. Although, if you only shoot a few hundred rounds a year, it's probably never going to break on you, and it'll be a nice upgrade.

CMC, Geissele, Wilson, Timney, AR Gold, Larue, Hiperfire, and Elfmann. They make good reliable triggers. Start there.

Are any of the triggers mentioned above better then just a timney drop in trigger or are those not considered to be good? I was looking at one of them but my buddy says i need to get a rock river 2 stage trigger.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I know the RRA 2 stage NM triggers get hated on but I've had really good luck with 3 of them. I think they are the bargin side of good. They aren't the best like the ones Seedubs mentions but are good when on a budget.

I have ran them in my SlideFire lower, thousands of rounds at shooting "parties" and it has held up very well. I've also had a large pin version in an old Colt lower for 15+ years. Also fine. I put a 3rd into a gun for my sister, also no trouble but only ~500 rnds so far.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I've just read too many "my RRA 2-stage went full auto or burst at the range" stories to really trust them. They definitely feel good for the price paid. I think the reliability is just not there. Then again, there's tons of them out there, and the squeaky wheel is what's heard on the internet. I think you're likely to get a good one that you won't have issues with. But the failure percentage seems to be higher than other options.

If it's just a range / game gun, I'd throw the mil-spec trigger it replaced in the range bag. If the RRA goes south, swap out the trigger. It's about a 5 minute easy thing to do. But if it were my bedside gun or something like that, I'd take a mil-spec trigger over an RRA.

Glad yours are holding up for you.

I know the RRA 2 stage NM triggers get hated on but I've had really good luck with 3 of them. I think they are the bargin side of good. They aren't the best like the ones Seedubs mentions but are good when on a budget.

I have ran them in my SlideFire lower, thousands of rounds at shooting "parties" and it has held up very well. I've also had a large pin version in an old Colt lower for 15+ years. Also fine. I put a 3rd into a gun for my sister, also no trouble but only ~500 rnds so far.

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

Sounds like your real world first hand experience trumps anything read about on the internet in your case.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    A sample size of 3 is not sufficient to prove reliability.
    They are in his case. That's what I stated "in your case" But you are the expert in all things read about on the internet.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Sig worthy. And done.

Run what you like and what you want to spend your own money on.

They are in his case. That's what I stated "in your case" But you are the expert in all things read about on the internet.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'm guessing if the RRA went burst or full auto it was a disconnector failure and subsequent hammer follow. I'll take a look and report back any signs of wear for you guys. Everyone can make a lemon after all. :ingo:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I've seen photos of broken discos, broken hammers, and there's a disco pin in those trigger groups that has a reputation of either breaking or backing out. Those are the failure modes I know of.

Main theories were:
    The case hardening was (is?) not a very uniform process as monitored by RRA. They apparently had or have lots of variation, and that was the reason some lasted and were fine and some broke (some very low round count failures and some higher round count).

And the disco pin was incorrectly engineered (not sure if newer models have this fixed). The pin was inadequate in length, and could apparently back out. In addition, there was a lot of questioning if the pin was engineered to be strong enough. At one point, ADCO was offering pin replacements with longer/stronger pins to mitigate this.

I'm guessing if the RRA went burst or full auto it was a disconnector failure and subsequent hammer follow. I'll take a look and report back any signs of wear for you guys. Everyone can make a lemon after all. :ingo:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    There is a common trouble with any unit that can be finely tuned and sold to people who like to fiddle with stuff. No matter how a unit is made, it can be fooled with until it is unreliable just as easily as it can be set properly.

I have been competing in the National Match Highpower game for 20 plus years. I have been active in State championships in 5 states, as well as several years at the Nationals. I shot mostly Timney triggers on the bolt actions and Jewel triggers for the AR's. I now have a couple with Geisslee triggers. All of them can be screwed with until they are so out of adjustment that they are unreliable. Both of my current rifles I installed the triggers, shot a couple matches and "fine" adjusted them. That was 4 years ago for one and 3 years ago for the other. Never tweeked them again. All I do is blow the crap out with Hornady cleaner and dry lube, and add a couple drops of oil to the pivots They have been reliable.

I personally never really liked the feel of the RRA match trigger, but I sure saw a lot of people from a lot of places use them successfully.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    Thanks for the advice. I think for my pricepoint/needs I'm going with the ALG. I think I'm skipping the two stage for now, as I'm not doing competition or doing a ton of shooting with this one, it is more of an education build than anything else.

Now onto uppers!

Vespid_Wasp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    There is a common trouble with any unit that can be finely tuned and sold to people who like to fiddle with stuff. No matter how a unit is made, it can be fooled with until it is unreliable just as easily as it can be set properly.

I have been competing in the National Match Highpower game for 20 plus years. I have been active in State championships in 5 states, as well as several years at the Nationals. I shot mostly Timney triggers on the bolt actions and Jewel triggers for the AR's. I now have a couple with Geisslee triggers. All of them can be screwed with until they are so out of adjustment that they are unreliable.

Most of Bill Geissele's triggers are not user adjustable. It sounds like you are using the adjustable Hi-Speed NM triggers. The SSA, SSA-E, Tricon, and S3G, among others, are not user adjustable and are very reliable and robust triggers that cannot be screwed with.

Triggers are a very subjective thing. Having used JP, Geissele, CMC, and Timney. One thing I know for certain is that stock LPK triggers suck!

I favor JP triggers but for the money the CMC is pretty darn good.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    I've personally had a RRA 2-stage, Geissele SD-C, milspec, and the Hiperfire 24C. For me, the 24C blows the rest of them away. I also paid $190 bucks for it, which isn't chump change, but is inline with Geissele's pricing. It's all personal preference though.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I'm a sucker for nice triggers and usually change out the trigger on most any gun I have except carry guns, and I LOVE my Geissele SSA-E's that I have on my 2 AR's.

Top Bottom