• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smcgee

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2014
    Greenville
    I was shooting my AR build today and after about 20 rounds of i guess not so stellar ammo I had a few misfeeds and then my rifle locked up.
    I separated the upper and lower but I cant move the bolt nor the charging handle and called a good friend and he informed me it may be a case lodged.
    When i returned home i tried cleaning rods with no prevail and would liked to have figured this out myself but obviously thats not what happened and Im not a gunsmith by any imagination
    I filmed what i could so I’m open to suggestions.[video]https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6VCpoxdIKOnbW51M2JOMlpES28[/video]

smcgee

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2014
    Greenville

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Put gun on safe and collapse stock and while pulling back on charging handle mortar it. Point muzzle in safe direction. I suggest NOT doing this indoors

Last edited:

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    MgderfThanks I just wanted to be all safety first that dislodged the boltIve shot non premium ammo before through this and it did fine and I clean my Rifle each range tripheres some photos maybe someone can figure out if this was a near death experience or not.https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bpk3r4hjXRBM2g0lCs1_v-51miv89oDIaQ/view?usp=sharinghttps://drive.google.com/open?id=1fgC_dUbJhWbxy2fIBCrETMv5u_Ra2GkB7w
    If you've been shooting some steel case ammo with the poly coating then that could be why. That stuff can coat the chamber and cause a tight chamber for the brase cased stuff.

smcgee

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2014
    Greenville
    ChurchMouse is on the case Im taking it up to him first thing in the morning. I feel embarrassed because my lack of knowledge which could have cost me or someone their life.
    what doesnt kill us only makes us stronger.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    im cleaning the bejesus out of it again and trash canning this Aguila 5.56 ammo

The Aguilla usually isn't that bad. I've seen the tula polycoated, steel case ammo cause issues after a couple hundred rounds.
    What brand gun do you have? Barrel?
    223 or 556???
    How many rounds does your rifle have through it?
    Do you/did you have the bcg properly lubed? ARs don't like to run dry.

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    The Aguilla usually isn't that bad. I've seen the tula polycoated, steel case ammo cause issues after a couple hundred rounds.
    223 or 556???

If it's brass I doubt it's the issue. I;ve shot thousand of rounds of it and probably have another thousand or so rounds to shoot. If it is the steel? Clean the chamber really well. I have had issues with steel in several of my AR's. I avoid it. I don't like beating crap out of my gun.

smcgee

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2014
    Greenville
    223 or 556???
    I had the bolt carrier group lubed up real nice. I personally brought this build from a reputable INGO Moderator but personally I have only shot maybe 50 rounds through the gun. I actually shot some Tul AMmo then cleaned it immediately after and had zero mis feeds or misfires. The Barrel is a Model 1 Sales 1/9 twist HC
    I just was recommended FMJ Brass so that’s what I tried to stick with but now I am leery of anything less then PMC
    I’m up for seasoned platform vets to recommend reliable ammo at non break the bank plinking prices. I feel like I may have cheated death and Im trying to learn from this lesson so all and any help much obliged it was 5.56 ammo wonder if I’ve misread the barrel findings and its only capable of .223?
    I got a great gunsmith going to check it in the morning and will most definitely clear my confusion I am positive.

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Brass sticking after shooting steel is not an unusual issue. I'd clean the chamber really really well. I use a 45 cal brush. It doesn't take a lot of lacquer to make brass stick like glue.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Brass sticking after shooting steel is not an unusual issue. I'd clean the chamber really really well. I use a 45 cal brush. It doesn't take a lot of lacquer to make brass stick like glue.

I'm going to stir the pot and say NOT to shoot the steel cased ammo. I've seen too many problems caused by steel in ARs. Use all the steel in AKs you want. I love cheap ammo in AKs. They don't hiccup at all.
    I like my Federal .223 in my ARs. Next is the PMC for cost factor, and then Federal M193. These are just for punching holes in paper and the occasional yote that gets seen.
    I buy my ammo in large quantities as it saves a considerable amount over buying a couple of boxes at a time. I'm usually paying around 31 cents a round shipped. I won't pay more than 36 cents a round. Just my cheap azz here.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I have participated in steel cased vs. brass cased. I have NEVER shot steel cased ammo out of any AR I have ever owned. But the "experts" here on INGO seem to always chime in that the lacquer coating is an urban myth that won't die.
    I know about 15 years ago, Bushmaster (Windham ME) put out a statement that if you shot steel cased ammo through one of their rifles it would void the warranty. That was enough for me to never do it. Stoner designed the rifle to shoot brass cased ammo, that is what I shoot.

By the way Harry, here is a good deal on some good ammo, I ordered 1200 rounds of this last night: ZQI (MKE) .223/5.56x45 62grn SS109 30rd Box
    These are 30 round boxes, comes out to .31 per round, for some really good ammo.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have participated in steel cased vs. brass cased. I have NEVER shot steel cased ammo out of any AR I have ever owned. But the "experts" here on INGO seem to always chime in that the lacquer coating is an urban myth that won't die.
    I know about 15 years ago, Bushmaster (Windham ME) put out a statement that if you shot steel cased ammo through one of their rifles it would void the warranty. That was enough for me to never do it. Stoner designed the rifle to shoot brass cased ammo, that is what I shoot.

By the way Harry, here is a good deal on some good ammo, I ordered 1200 rounds of this last night: ZQI (MKE) .223/5.56x45 62grn SS109 30rd Box
    These are 30 round boxes, comes out to .31 per round, for some really good ammo.

I traded for some of the steel core ZQ1 last year at Parabellum. The ranges don't let you shoot the steel core as it damages the deflectors and back stops at the range so I made a good trade (round wise) on it. I didn't have any issues with it at all. It worked like it is supposed to. I have plenty of the 855 green tipped Federal that's the same thing.
    The only issue I've ever had with brass cased ammo in my ARs was PMC 62 gr I got in a trade on some tools when I retired. It was hollow point and it turned out it was reloads. I had 3 rounds hang like the OP did. I still have about 60? rounds of it left I shoot out of an old Micro A Bolt Browning. It does fine in it.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg

The manufacturers today are making barrels with tolerances on the upper end to accommodate the wide variety of different parts and those who make them. Most guns, not all, will run steel case just fine because gas ports are drilled bigger nowadays and chambers tolerances are on the upper end. I shoot a lot of steel case for blasting and run n gun. I've never had an issue with it feeding/extracting. Steel case ammo supposedly causes premature wear on the extractor though, which hasn't happened yet to me. I can save 9 cents/rd by shooting steel

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

OP just had the rifle here at the mouse compound. I looked it over really well. It is in good order. Chamber is clean and clear but he said he cleaned it up before he came over.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I'm going to stir the pot and say NOT to shoot the steel cased ammo. I've seen too many problems caused by steel in ARs. Use all the steel in AKs you want. I love cheap ammo in AKs. They don't hiccup at all.
    I like my Federal .223 in my ARs. Next is the PMC for cost factor, and then Federal M193. These are just for punching holes in paper and the occasional yote that gets seen.
    I buy my ammo in large quantities as it saves a considerable amount over buying a couple of boxes at a time. I'm usually paying around 31 cents a round shipped. I won't pay more than 36 cents a round. Just my cheap azz here.

Yep, I agree. And I have been told my AR's are all junk because they won't run it. I'll keep my junk gun.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    OP just had the rifle here at the mouse compound. I looked it over really well. It is in good order. Chamber is clean and clear but he said he cleaned it up before he came over.

I'll bet the gun will run fine now. OP, please let us know what happens.

Top Bottom