• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indybeer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Danville
    I'm new to the AR world, and am getting ready to purchase my first upper kit. For the most part all the kits I have looked at have been pretty evenly priced.

There is one however that is really cheaper than the others. I've done a search of this forum for info on Hesse/Vulcan/Blackthorne, and haven't found much.

I've also done a search on the web at various sites and have found alot of info, both good and bad about their kits. But there seems to be alot of bias on the more popular sites. There are alot of posts by people with no first hand knowledge.

So I am posting this here to get some actual firsthand info. Not passed on second hand by someone that knows someone.

Has anyone here actually purchased something from them? What was your experience with it?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    From what I have been led to believe Hesse/Vuclan/Blackthorne is a company that you want to stay away from. The current brand name I've seen them use is Blackthorne. They do have the lowest prices I have seen. The reports I've seen about their stuff are not complimentary in any way and there are threads about them on AR15.com and some other gun forums.

I had 2 of their uppers pass through my hands as part of some upper purchases I've done in the past. I did not test fire either of those uppers. The barrels were a bit rough in finish. I'd rate them below the finish of many of the other lower priced brands out there. JMO

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    STAY AWAY from anything Hesse/ Vulcan/ Blackthorne, Hesse is the old name in AR parts and they have poor quality, poor finish and once its sold there is ZERO customer service according to accounts stated over on AR15.com.

ARFcom even blocked them from being a site supporter so they should speak volumes about their reputation.

Check out PKFirearms, they have complete uppers w/ BCG & CHs for $490- $550 and up...... alot of big names too: Bushy, Colt, Noveske, RRA, DPMS etc....

Heres the link: PK Firearms | Online Store

All week they had Bushy M4 uppers for $495.00 ($507.00 shipped from Illinois) but are of stock now, but check daily and if its listed its in stock.

HTH,

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    I also will recommend PK firearms. They have quality Uppers on there quite often. They sell out quick lately. I picked up a complete 10.5" barrel for about $550 shipped.

Indybeer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Danville
    AR Kits

I'm looking for a 24" Bull barrel Varmint kit. Alot of the sites that carry complete the kits don't carry it. Model 1 has one but they currently have a 8 month lead time! I've been checking J&T, AR15Products and The Tannery Shop, but havent talked to them on availabliity.

After researching Blackthorne I've already decided to pass on their kits.

On PK firearms I can't find a link to any varmint kits. Guess I'll just have to keep looking.

Thanks

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I ordered an upper from Del-ton on January 1, 2009 and cancelled it yesterday. That is just too long to wait. Made me wonder what would happen if they sent the wrong thing or if something was wrong with it, probably have to wait another 6 months for a replacement!!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    . . . but they currently have a 8 month lead time!
    I ordered an upper from Del-ton on January 1, 2009 and cancelled it yesterday.
    Sadly this is the case with uppers. Specialty uppers, like 20" and 24" varmint upper, have the longest wait times. M4 and other 16" uppers are now starting to come back into the market but still pretty slowly. I'm waiting for 2 uppers that were ordered in November and probably won't be delivered for another couple of months. One is a RRA and the other is an Oly in 45acp. Worse yet, the bolt carrier groups are still hard to find so uppers with BCGs are often good values because finding reasonably priced BCGs is still difficult (often $150 to $180 + shipping).

Indybeer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Danville
    I blame this whole AR thing on my co-worker Tony. He got in on a stripped lower group buy on 1919A4 and that is all he talked at work for two months.. Of course that got me looking and the next thing I know I'm in on the same buy for three lowers, plus I just picked up a couple lowers from Law Enforcement Firearms on Tuesday.

It's a sickness and it's contagious!

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    indybeer,

i might be able to help you out, but i'm not sure how to go about it and keep it kosher here. i've lurked, and come here for info a lot, but never took the time to register and post.

i'm a member at the "home of the black rifle", and you can contact me there

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Hahahhaa. Got a pink one yet?
    2 Pink (22lr + 5.56), 2 Yellow (6.5 Grendel + 7.62x39), 1 Bright Blue (9mm), 1 Barney Purple (5.56). :rockwoot: Plus various in OD Green, Desert Tan, and Black.
    1-19.jpg

chrisrock101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    North Indy
    I have built a DPMS and a rockriver and they both are really great! also around to make sure you are going to get the best deals cause it is like night and day between one person and the other!

Top Bottom