• ...and so much more!
  • Guncraft

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Lafayette
    Caulfieldian,

I can understand the desire to do that, as I have done the same type things wondering if they have any real affect at all. I was just curious if there was one particular result you were hoping to achieve to help narrow down a better answer for you.

Thank you!

Andy

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    There have been people that have done before/after accuracy testing.

Google search:
    site:m4carbine.net lapping tool
    You'll get a ton of threads related to this. m4carbine is less vulgar than arfcom, and seems the members are typically actually shooters that know what they're talking about as opposed to the idiot 15 year old kids on arfcom.

Comments typically read as such:

"I can't think of a more worthless tool. Pure snake oil..."

"That would be a perfectly fine tool to use in a lathe or end mill, but a 3/8 handheld drill? No thanks!"

"lapping is for spacegun shooters, nowdays. once upon a time, hand-fitting and lapping were part of "building" ars- but these days parts are truly drop in, so long as you go with any known manufacturer."

"to add, removing the anodizing and exposing the soft aluminum seems like more of a problem than any supposed accuracy gains"

"I certainly wouldn't lap one using the Brownells tool, a vise and a hand-held drill. I think there is too much opportunity for error due to tolerances between the upper, the lapping tool and the user. I would rather pay a smith to do it than take a risk or utilize another upper."

Caulfieldian,

I can understand the desire to do that, as I have done the same type things wondering if they have any real affect at all. I was just curious if there was one particular result you were hoping to achieve to help narrow down a better answer for you.

Thank you!

Andy

Last edited:

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I find it odd to see some guys that are so outspoken against using or buying this tool. What gives?

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    1) It's a waste of money
    2) I hate it when companies make products for a solution looking for a problem
    3) I hate it when companies market things as "must haves" that aren't actually needed. Makes it confusing for people new to something
    4) This product, when chucked into a drill as advertised, won't hold the tolerances necessary to actually deliver what's promised
    5) You're removing hard anodizing from the receiver
    6) I really hate the selling of snake oil. It's inhumane

Just looking out for the INGO people here. Maybe these posts will save someone a few bucks. Although a simple google search would let you know that most of the better AR sites commonly view this product as snake oil. But as always, do as you see fit, we're all adults here and free to make our own decisions.

I find it odd to see some guys that are so outspoken against using or buying this tool. What gives?

Guncraft

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Lafayette
    Seedubs1, Thank you for your responses, but I am familiar with the tool, its use, and its theoretical benefits. I was simply wanting to know why the OP was thinking about doing it to his own rifle and his answer was "out of curiosity".

Andy

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Again, I think the tool has merit, in taking down the threaded extension's face slightly, to reduce the amount of force to line up the bbl nut.
    Dunno if the lapper's extension to keep everything in line needs to be as long as it is.
    But with stupid people owning other tools, some of them operating at speed, it could be of some insurance.

Top Bottom