• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Did you contact Brownells? I’d be interested to see what they have to say about that. Potentially you got one with bad heat treat, inclusions in the steel, or something? I can’t immagine putting enough torque on a barrel nut or flash hider to break that thing unless there was a defect or something weird going on.

UPDATE!!!

After using it four times, I sheared every lug off. Don't get one.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Okay, my bad. It's not a Brownells brand, it's a cheap knock off through Amazon. I thought it was a Brownells brand, but it's not.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I only use the Reaction Rod to install/remove muzzle devices, I don't want the torque being applied to a barrel nut focused on the receiver slot and barrel alignment pin. A wrap around receiver block works well enough most of the time but if I end up needing a fair bit of torque to align a barrel nut I typically use the blocks of wood with the receiver turned sideways technique.

Last edited:

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    Me personally I use the vise block that wraps around the upper. That's a lot of rotational torque to just 2 pins on the other vise. Not saying people don't use them and they don't work. But my 2 cents, increase your holding surface area reduce your stress.

Top Bottom