Amish Mafia Bar
    1654093_590184761073663_1872432420_n.jpg

First I have seen. Cool.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    That's old school for sure. Isn't that typically one of the mark of a lower tier AR?

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    The original M16 and SP1 ARs didn't have a forward assist. Didn't take long to figure out they needed some way to drive the bolt and carrier that remaining tenth of an inch to home when the action was filthy with powder residue, dust, sand, etc., and that's when the forward assist was designed and integrated. I had the opportunity to work with one of the Colt XM177s many years ago and mine was the Model 629 (11.5" barrel with forward assist). One of the guys was issued a Model 649 (11.5" without forward assist) and I remember being very happy I wasn't stuck with that one. We all knew that if things went hot, he'd need watching over while futzing with that 649. My opinion is deeply biased by that experience, but I simply wouldn't consider owning any AR-type weapon without the forward assist. Besides, punching the forward assist when my weapon fails to fire is so ingrained (SPORTS clearing drill) that I'd be kinda lost without the shut button.

DFM914

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    I just bought a S&W MP15 Sporter that does not have forward assist or a dustcover. I am very happy with it.

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    As stated the original design (late 50's) did not have a forward assist. The Army wanted it so it was incorporated on the XM16E1 around 64-65. There are many companies now that make AR's without the forward assist and for all practical purposes, it is not needed. The military teaches its use during malfunction clearance (SPORTS) but to tell you the truth, in almost 35 years of using the AR platform, I've never really had a call to use it.

MDave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    I wonder what the BCG looks like in this weapon, or any weapon without a FA? You wouldn't need the slots on the side since there was no assist mech.

Personally I prefer the A1 model forward assist. I have had and have seen occasions when it was useful, especially with a dirty weapon.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Mine is an Armalite M15-A2, with forward assist. I know, and trained with that same SPORTS malfunction drill, but never had issue with my rifle to need to use it. If I were looking for a lower cost way to get into the AR world, I wouldnt have an issue with one without the FA option, but, even though I have never had issue doesnt mean that I wont, and I did not buy it strictly for looks and punching holes in paper.

If your intended end use it solely for target or other non-critical use, it isnt something that is absolutely necessary with today's clean burning powders and primers. If there is a chance that you will employ your AR as a life critical piece of equipment, then its not a bad idea to spend the extra money on a go button and dust cover. Better to have it and not need it rather than be stuck with a gummed up/jammed up rifle at a critical point in a situation.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Seeing how I run JP carriers (low-mass), I have never had a need for a forward assist. I select and use one specific upper for my builds because it DOES NOT have a forward assist. It just so happens that that upper is more stiff than a standard receiver too :).
    I have long been a believer that if you have a round that does not want to go into battery, that you shouldn't force it.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    You know what the forward assist has gotten me?

A PITA to extract jam, that's what.

On a fighting rifle that's going to get REALLY hot and drug through all kinds of environments, sure, gimme one. For any other use, I don't think its necessary.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    There are quite a few companies that offer smooth side upper receivers. I believe they are all flat tops and often used for match rifles or varmint rifles. Even when purchased as a complete upper including the bolt carrier group, all the ones I have seen use a standard carrier with the forward assist notched. (it is probably not cost effective to order and stock a special BCG for a few receivers)

Fulton Armory and others make a slot on a smooth side receiver to make room for a straight pull bolt knob so you can eliminate the normal charging handle.

I assembled a couple uppers using smooth sided receivers. Had no trouble with them. I cannot recall ever actually trying to use a foward assist, so even though there is one on my service rifle, I am so used to ignoring it, I do not even see it.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I've had to use my FA several times. It's pretty much always been mag related. I have a 20rd PMAG that is pretty damns tiff and manages to slow the BCG enough on the first round that usually it doesn't rotate all the way. Had to use it a couple times in -30 degree weather this winter when the crud in there started to solidify. That was pretty damn funny IMO.

I wonder what the BCG looks like in this weapon, or any weapon without a FA? You wouldn't need the slots on the side since there was no assist mech.

Personally I prefer the A1 model forward assist. I have had and have seen occasions when it was useful, especially with a dirty weapon.

Most of the time, the carrier is the same. But here's a spare BCG I have from an ancient Colt. No notches

Besides Armalite and POF, for 308 ARs, pretty much none of them have FA either.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I keep everything pretty clean these days so it's not much of an issue, but back in my 11B youth, I can't remember using the forward assist once (other than training), even with a filthy weapon (both an A1, later an A2) with live ammo OR blanks (which are notoriously dirty and underpowered). That being said, in a life or death situation, why not have one?

Top Bottom