• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Finally finished my first AR10 build. I decided to go with 243 Winchester because it's not the typical choice. I also had about 1000 6mm projectiles that I inherited so why not 243. It ended up a little more than I was planning to spend but couldn't walk away from the Aero builders set at ZX Guns. I am currently working up loads for 105gr Hornady Match and 75gr, Hornady HP. I have found that this gun needs more pressure to cycle than some of the ammo out there. I bought a box of Federal 90gr SP and it would not pick up the next round reliably or hold open on the last round. The Hornady 75gr Superformance Varmint seemed to run fine and my 105gr handloads with 6.5 StaBALL. Accuracy seems good so far as I am still working up loads.

Parts List:
    Aero Precision builders set in Gunmetal Grain
    Bear Creek Arsenal 24" SS barrel 1/8 twist rifle length gas
    Aim Surplus SST trigger and NIB BCG
    Daniel Defense stock and grip
    Aero Precision buffer tube kit
    Strike Industries enhanced LPK
    Magpul 20 round magazine
    Standard Low Pro gas block and tube
    Magpul MOE MLOK bipod
    Mountain Tactical Rad Fat Man Break in 6.5, technically for a Tikka rifle but worked with crush washer
    Mostrum Tactical 30mm cantilever mount
    Vortex Diamondback 6x24x50 moa scope

All in all I am loving the way it came together.
    Rifle.jpg Rifle3.jpg Rifle4.jpg Rifle2.jpg Rifle5.jpg
    First few rounds at 100 yards. The flyer the first shot and was my bad. I was happy with the next 3 rounds though. Just shooting off my tailgate with a bag. Target is an 8" bull
    Target.jpg

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Instead of increasing chamber pressure, you could try installing a lighter buffer spring.
    Might be just enough to get it to cycle.
    I thought about that. I haven't worked up a load for the 75gr bullets yet. The Federal factory ammo I bought was extremely dirty, so I won't be buying any of that anyway. The 75gr Hornady factory ammo worked just fine.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Finally! Someone at INGO builds an AR on an “old” tried and true cartridge and not the latest, probably soon to be forgotten, whiz bang new “super” cartridge thought up by companies who can’t even keep up with demand for ammunition for what’s already been proven tried and true! My :twocents::twocents: !!!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    About 6 months ago I got a dtech ar10 in 243. I wanted a 12 twist for 58-65 gr bullets, so it took them better than a year.

I went with 243 over 6mm creed because in light bullets the 2 calibers are equals, and I already had forster dies and lapua brass in 243. Had I intended to shoot 80+ grain bullets, the creed would have won out.

I got it just in time to throw a load together and start shooting yotes. My intention is to start heating up the load and finding that higher accuracy note this summer. For the time being, the lower node (much bigger and easier to find) is shooting 58gr vmax's at 3750 out of a 20 inch barrel, sub moa

Hope to push the limits, and get 3950-4k and keep it moa or less.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Just the upper. I read reviews and was iffy on bca, then thought for $350, wth I'll try one. It shoots great I'll find a pic of group and post it.
    Thanks.
    I recently got their .450 Bushmaster side charger upper for my 2023 Ingo lower.
    I love it.
    Might have to look again at the .243...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    How carefull do you all have to be with semi-autos in .243, reference barrel burn out?

I had always been told to be very slow about follow up shots, at the range, with a bolt action?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    How carefull do you all have to be with semi-autos in .243, reference barrel burn out?

I had always been told to be very slow about follow up shots, at the range, with a bolt action?
    A lot of that advice is due more to barrel harmonics than throat erosion or " barrel burn out".
    Accuracy suffers as a barrel heats up.

Top Bottom