• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    Does anybody do this? Does anybody know who will do this for me? I'll mail it for a decent turn around time. One gunshop near me said they could get it done but had to "send it out" and it could take 2 months. I'm in Northern IN and will drive or ship as previously mentioned. I believe the diameter of the bolt is greater then that of the standard AR15 bolt although I can't be sure because the NFA hasn't yet deemed me worthy of possession of the 5.56 rifle I bought in December. =)

-Dobber

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    The bolt of a 308 AR is much larger than an AR15
    Why do you think the gas key needs staking?

Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    I'm looking for a more consistent and repeatable method of staking the key. A monkey with a hammer (me) has been known to make questionable decisions resulting in loss of capital. As for why I'm staking the gas-key: it is paramount due to the purpose of this rifle that the bolt never foul, for any reason, at any time, ever.

I suppose if I'm going to get creative with a centerpunch I'll give it a shot this weekend. For anyone else here whose done it, do you prefer to punch the top of the gas key in the crevice that the screws set into or have you punched inward from the side of the key to force the gas key material into forming a notch in the screws?

Dobber

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    For anyone else here whose done it, do you prefer to punch the top of the gas key in the crevice that the screws set into or have you punched inward from the side of the key to force the gas key material into forming a notch in the screws?

From the sides. Push the metal into the grooved sides of the key screws, and over the top.

-rvb

Top Bottom