• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Will317

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 18, 2016
    Beech Grove
    I have a PSA AR10 and a Savage Axis that both have a 4-12x scope on it. Looking at trading them in for a Ruger Sfar 20”. Looking for recommendations on optics. The AR10 now is just a bench rifle since it is over 12 pounds loaded and the Axis is a backup hunting gun. But this will replace the role of both and being light enough to shoulder, don’t want too much low end magnification. Having a hard time deciding on an optic. Would like something that goes from about 1-2x up to 8-12x. I don’t want anything with electronics, but it is hard to find something that isn’t illuminated. I feel like if it is too dark to see the reticle, it is too dark to identify your target. But that is just my opinion. Budget is $500 for the scope and cantilever mount.

LuckyOne

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Parke County, IN
    My vote is Vortex LHT 3-15x42 SFP HSR-5i 30mm MOA for sale.

At only 19.1 oz it is tough for even a non-illuminated scope to beat. I just don't use the illumination. Really a great do all scope.

Price new is more than twice your current bank however one sold here today for just over $700. Congratulations to the buyer!

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I just put a Diamondback 6x24x50 on my AR10, but it is primarily a bench rest long range set up. I have looked a a few 1x8 scopes for another build I am working on. Leaning towards the Strike Eagle 1x8x24 FFP.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    Vortex Strike Eagle for a more "lightweight / recon" AR-10 build like what an SFAR can bring. I have a 1-8Xx24 SFP (Before they came out with the FFP), and I love it, even more than my Trijicon ACOG. On 1x power, it pretty much acts as a red dot . I could clear a room with my 16" AR-10 if I had to. At 8x, I can get MOA to sub-MOA groups at 100 yds.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    This doesn't really get you very many options, and the ones it will won't be very good quality. Maybe look for something used?
    That’s kinda my thought unfortunately. I have $500 right now, but am not against waiting and saving up and getting something better.
    Although there are some scopes out there that may suit your needs for hunting they are not going to be very good for bench work. To get a “do-all” scope you are likely going to be north of your $500 budget.

Kawtech has a point about buying a used scope. There are deals out there. Unfortunately, every time I have bought a used scope I took a bath. Now, even if the scope has a lifetime warranty and is half the price of new I leave it alone. If you really want to take the chance. Do your homework and be sure you are buying a good one. Also beware of counterfeit high end optics.

At the end of the day…… start saving and if during the course of squirreling money away you find a super deal you’ll have the money.

Best luck

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have a PSA AR10 and a Savage Axis that both have a 4-12x scope on it. Looking at trading them in for a Ruger Sfar 20”. Looking for recommendations on optics. The AR10 now is just a bench rifle since it is over 12 pounds loaded and the Axis is a backup hunting gun. But this will replace the role of both and being light enough to shoulder, don’t want too much low end magnification. Having a hard time deciding on an optic. Would like something that goes from about 1-2x up to 8-12x. I don’t want anything with electronics, but it is hard to find something that isn’t illuminated. I feel like if it is too dark to see the reticle, it is too dark to identify your target. But that is just my opinion. Budget is $500 for the scope and cantilever mount.

They have a 1-10×.
    If you are active duty or a veteran you get a 25% discount on them.

BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    I had a Swampfox Tomahawk and Vortex PST on an AR-10. Worked ok, took a few deer with the setup, but I found it kind of heavy and switched to a Swampfox Trihawk 3x prism scope.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I just watched a video about reticles. Do you want a lot of stuff in the reticle or not much? Illuminated or no? What's max range? What's intended use?

I just swapped out a 4-12 non illuminated with a basic crosshair. Something like that would get you shooting and you can decide later what you need. I think quality of glass is most important. And, if you have other scopes you may want the same adjustments so it's not confusing.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I feel down the rabbit hole of optics a couple of years ago when I was looking to find "the one true optic" and buy multiple copies and call it good . . . bwahahaha . . . oh, the little jokes I tell myself.

For under 5 bills, have 2 recommendations:

1. Steiner, T332, 3X

2. PA, GLX 2X

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Set and forget hunting scope....i still like the Leupold 3.5-10x w reg duplex.

Can jump to 30mm and firedot but costs more.

I think the reg 1" 3.5-10x 40mm is light weight even if of old tech....which justified the purchase. Too bad they dropped the 40mm AO model way back.

Last edited:

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    My vote is Vortex LHT 3-15x42 SFP HSR-5i 30mm MOA for sale.

At only 19.1 oz it is tough for even a non-illuminated scope to beat. I just don't use the illumination. Really a great do all scope.

Price new is more than twice your current bank however one sold here today for just over $700. Congratulations to the buyer!
    This scope is 100% awesome. Clearest glass I’ve looked through. And yes…. I snagged the one in the classifieds. Sometimes you find a great deal.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

They have a 1-10×.
    If you are active duty or a veteran you get a 25% discount on them.
    With military discount I can get this delivered for.
    (Posting so others know Swampfox still gives a nice discount for veterans and active duty. I think law enforcement as well.)

Screenshot_20230506-171733_Brave.jpg

Top Bottom