• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KAS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I am in the process of assembling my first AR. I am looking for advice on a fold-down rear sight. What brand, features are best?
    Also, for optics, aim point? Eotech? Or other?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What will be the purpose of this AR? How will you shoot it? How often?

For a folding BUIS I recommend Troy.

For optics (1x red dot), I recommend Aimpoint.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    What will be the purpose of this AR? How will you shoot it? How often?

For a folding BUIS I recommend Troy.

For optics (1x red dot), I recommend Aimpoint.

As Esrice asked, what is the purpose of the rifle? Fighting carbine or safe queen? Are you looking to shoot tiny groups or chase zombies around your house. The purpose of the rifle will dictate the gear you use, there is no such things as an all purpose rifle. Only a rifle that is capable of a lot with the proper gear. The most important piece of that being you! Train and train!

Why?

For a rear BUIS the troy is good choice, although no cheap it is simple, rugged, and very low profile. It's short fall IMO is that is can't be folded down in both apertures. The Magpul is a polymer sights that is also a great choice, while still being light, it is offered in all the cool colors and does have dual aperture and cost's 1/2 what the troy does. The Matech BUIS which is military issue is another choice that can be found for a good price if you look (hint hint) and has a simple 200-600m adjustment, only the small aperture, but is very low profile..

Optics... You get what you pay for. A knockoff will do the job if you're not going to really push the rifle, but if you see yourself jumping and running alot, save up and buy a quality optic.. I use both Aimpoint and Eotechs. I don't really have a preference, both are rugged and great optics.. They are expensive, but you will but they are worth it. The Eotech has a greater field of view, but it more cumbersome to me, the Aimpoint's batteries will last forever, but isn't as clear as the Eotech to me.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I would like to make another suggestion. Before you add optics get the rifle sighted in using iron sights. Get to where you feel comfortable using the iron sights. Then I would add the optic. I say this because if your optic fails and the iron sights are not sighted properly. Or, you are not comfortable with using iron sights. You now just have a blunt object.

KAS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Thanks

Thanks for the insights. I am indeed planning to do it in steps. I want to get comfortable with a quality iron sight prior to optics. I anticipate adding optics so it seemed to make sense to buy a fold down rear.

My real concern was if the magpul, at half the cost of Troy, would be durable enough to actually fold down and up and not move around on me.

In terms of use, I am hoping to have a range gun that can hit dinner plates (or coyotes) at 200 yards. If I have to run around with it, it's because the Chinese have invaded. At that point, we have other issues...

Is there a consesus that the magpul is something I'll be happy with?
    I will likely look for used optics as a second step.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    well

I like the magpul BUIS set that I bought. Tough enough for most users, I would think. Coyotes at 200 yds for me requires magnification tho'. 3-9 Zeiss on my RRA varmint. I haven't seen or used the Troy's but the reputation is obviously pretty good around here.:yesway::twocents:

Top Bottom