AR15 Barrel Nut Grease: Got any to share?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    I'm doing my first AR15 build. I looked online for how to build an upper and the general consensus is to use Aeroshell 33 on the barrel nut. I've looked for it online and it only comes in tubes or tubs, far too much for what I need. Classic Arms has a nice small container of it, but they want over $15 shipping for something priced $4. Anyone here in NWI willing to share some?

PS
    Any other alternatives to this stuff?

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I'm doing my first AR15 build. I looked online for how to build an upper and the general consensus is to use Aeroshell 33 on the barrel nut. I've looked for it online and it only comes in tubes or tubs, far too much for what I need. Classic Arms has a nice small container of it, but they want over $15 shipping for something priced $4. Anyone here in NWI willing to share some?

PS

Anti seize, not grease IMO. Something like this works well:

http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-37617...1457067028&sr=1-1&keywords=loctite+anti+seize

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    You can use moly grease. Wheel bearing moly grease or white lithium. Anti seize is ok. But it usually has graphite in it. Not ideal IMHO. YMMV

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville

PS

I have a spare tube (white lithium) I'll let you have for the price of shipping. Shouldn't run more than $3. Send me an e-mail with address and I'll try to put it in the mail on Saturday.

John
    penworks2@juno.com

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have a spare tube (white lithium) I'll let you have for the price of shipping. Shouldn't run more than $3. Send me an e-mail with address and I'll try to put it in the mail on Saturday.

John
    penworks2@juno.com

This!! Great offer and will work just fine! Thanks for offering it to him.

OP, if you are near SB I can also hook you up NP.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I'm always open to learn. What about the graphite do you not like?

Graphite can work it's way threw the action, & up the barrel, gas tube, It is just not needed for this application. YMMV. Ant seize is great for lug nuts and studs. They don't pass many bullets though, not usually anyways. :-) Moly or lithium is great for the job. It burns away and doesn;t leave graphite behind.

Is it wrong to, Depends on who you talk to.

Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    I'm always open to learn. What about the graphite do you not like?
    I've read up on it. It causes aluminum to corrode because graphite enables electrolysis of the aluminum. That fine layer of protection is compromised when setting the nut to the threads. Granted that is for more salt based environments, but I want to make my first build (or assembly according to the HATERS thread ;)) more than just a learning experience.

I'm seeing a lot of white lithium grease being recommended, any particular type or just white lithium in general? Because if that's the case, I have access to some of that.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    If you need tools and are near South Bend you are welcome to use mine. And the Lube to. I've got a the right tools and the vise blocks for the upper and the lower. Just yell.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Thats right, its assemble! lol.

and unfortunately 1911ly is wrong about why graphite is bad and you are correct!

the graphite promotes galvanic corrosion between the two dissimilar metals here, the aluminum upper and the steel barrel extension.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    to add to this real quick, the environmental conditions also factory into the rate of corrosion when graphite is introduced. This isnt a matter of if it happens but when it happens. Why introduce a chemical that WILL cause an issue be it in the long run or the short

Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    I think I'll dash over to an auto parts shop and grab a small tube of lithium grease. They have it listed for around 4 bucks, so no major cost. The stuff I have right now turned yellow :n00b:, so I'm not sure that it's still good anymore. I'll update op with pics when I finish building the upper.

Thanks for the offer 1911ly, but I have the basic tools needed. I got the Magpul wrench and BEV block to work on it, along with the torque wrench.

Thanks for all the expertise and information.:ingo:

Last edited:

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    I think I'll dash over to an auto parts shop and grab a small tube of lithium grease. They have it listed for around 4 bucks, so no major cost. The stuff I have right now turned yellow :n00b:, so I'm not sure that it's still good anymore. I'll update op with pics when I finish building the upper.

Thanks for the offer 1911ly, but I have the basic tools needed. I got the Magpul wrench and BEV block to work on it, along with the torque wrench.

Thanks for all the expertise and information.:ingo:

When you dash over to the auto parts shop, just pick up a few 'ketchup' packs of anti-seize when you check out. Its the same stuff for bolts/nuts/spark plugs. A little goes a long way.

:ingo:

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Go to Rural King. You can get a big tube of grease for about $2. The ones used to inject bearings with grease guns.

Just make sure it doesn't contain graphite. Read the label. There's quite a few moly and white lithium greases that'll be fine.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Thats right, its assemble! lol.

and unfortunately 1911ly is wrong about why graphite is bad and you are correct!

the graphite promotes galvanic corrosion between the two dissimilar metals here, the aluminum upper and the steel barrel extension.

I learn something new every day. Ty

:+1:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have been putting tigether AR rifles for 20 years. It has never occurred to me to use any kind of lube on these threads.

All my rifles are dry. Never used a torque wrench either. Never had a barrel nut back off. I cannot see any gain to lubing the threads.

Top Bottom