• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    I know there is thousands of pages on ar15s so i finally want to get a ar15 but i know nothing about them, except they are awesome, so i need some expert advice from ar lovers is it better to build or buy ?? Im going to try to save atleast a grand for a rifle. What are good companys to buy from and iv also never built a rifle before what other parts should i look at if i buy or build, any help appreciated

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Build the lower, buy your first upper. Then you can change out what you want as you go and get the tools, and then you will have what you need to build a complete rifle :)

I'm working on building a 300blk pistol for deer next year :)

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    Building a Ar is like Legos for an adult. If you build I agree start with a complete upper and assemble the lower. Woody131 has kits as do several others on this site. Or Palmeto State armory. I preferr to self assemble. If you shop around you can save some money and still get the cool features you want. However if you are not mechanically iclined, you should buy. As you are the customer service dept when you have a problem with your build.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I would buy rather than build. There's not much difference in the price anymore, plus you'll generally A) get a better resale value and B) have a warranty from the manufacturer.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    buy your first and get intimate. i like understanding how things function, because only at that point can i build a replica and be confident in it. buy one, take it down to its guts, and rebuild it. when you start to understand it, then you can build the very thing your heart wants.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I built my first and will build my next. I haven't found one the way I want it yet, let alone for less than I can build one for.

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    For the money, as i have posted many times before, build the whole thing. In doing so, you get what you want (what you think you want any way), you gain the knowledge to repair, adjust and maintain your weapon, and simply have the pride in having something you cant "buy". I can buy an AR for about 700 bucks out the door. Or i can build it. Get exactly what i want. When you buy (features you want/dont want) you get what the factory puts on the rifle and you have little choice in the matter. You pay for the rifle get it home and then start taking pieces off to add what you want....waste of time and money. When you sit down, budget out what you can afford, that is what you buy. If you build...budget changes a little. You can spend more over a period of time. You can get it piece by piece. And those pieces are what you want, and at the price you want to pay for them. Also .....how do you think companies can get the cost of a gun down to 650? they cut corners. they cut all kinds of corners. they use parts that are not up to snuff, they use less than great barrels, they also mass produce parts....that being said..you can build for a little more than the price of an off the shelf rifle...but the product is much better. I pick on DPMS and Olympic...now they make good plinker AR's (but they arent known for being military grade) so if you want a plinker buy a nice Windham weaponry carbon fiber model for 650 and forget it. If you want a specific rifle i.e. entry, midrange, long range, M Fourgery, or a science fiction looking zombie killer..then build. You also get to choose where you cut corners...not a CEO looking at his profits...just your wife looking at what you spent.
    Now..if you build remember a few things. People will tell you one brand is superior to another. Remember, as i have worked in manufacturing and machining, alot of that is crap. Some do make a superior part. Most run of the mill "better" companies use the same machining factories to make a lower/upper and engrave the "better company's" name all over it. Do your home work, buy what works for you. dont buy names. just because it says spikes or LMT on the side does not make the burgler, zombie, alien invader run away. if you want to cut corners...you can get by just fine on a 75 dollar lower from Bob's your uncle Machining. where you dont want to cheap out...barrel. simple and plain a cheap upper with a great barrel will get you farther than spending alot of money for a premier upper and lower with a crappy barrel. buy an upper, make sure its true/straight, and install a GOOD barrel. Green mountain makes a nice barrel, so does Stoner. lower parts kits are lower parts kits..ive played with name brand and off brand....ive had good and bad on both. can get away with a military trigger...works for several hundred thousand soldiers, sailors and marines for many decades.
    Long story short...figure out what you want your rifle to do. then figure out what you want to spend. If you want a cheap rifle that goes boom once in awhile at the range...get something cheap. If you want the pride in knowing you just built the ugliest franken-rifle thats a great shooter...then build. When you build you learn. you learn where you want to improve your rifle and you learn how to repair what can go wrong..instead of waiting for warranty work form a cheap company.
    And finally remember this is an addiction. like crack...if you start this habit...it will bring you in, drain your wallet and leave your wife wondering what the hell is wrong with you. We do offer meetings for AR's Anonymous...held every saturday afternoon at PROTEQ.us range in brazil, indiana.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    Cheaper to buy usually but I prefer to build my own. Buy what parts I think are better quality and build the rifle for what I want. Plus it's a little easier to shell out a $ over a period of time rather than all at once. Just my opinion. My latest build has about 2k in it so far lol

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    Thanks for the info@ljunman im not married so wont have to worry about what i spent lol, i will look around for good parts like you said and see what works, i would like the rifle to be good at long range and perform in tough situations and a zombi attack lol, would like "mill specs" dependable strong parts and if i need to save for the parts i need then i will, worst part i already have a idea in my head about wha it will look like and some parts i want $$$$ hi my name is burt and im a ar15 addict, any suggestions on build kits or parts helpful

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    Careful with "milspec". it is an over used catch phrase that has become tacticool. Mil spec is merely a beginning point of specifications a part must meet to be accepted by the military...and when was the last time the government bought the best thing they could find? If you are looking for accuracy and long range use plus remaining tacticool...look to stoner for a barrel chambered in .223 wylde. its the best compromise with 5.56 mm and .223 commercial ammo. I had a heavy barrel 18" inch threaded stoner in .223 wylde and could easily hold sub moa all day at 100yds. I could also run mid range/close up drills with it and not be overwhelmed by the barrel length or like folks who carry a 24 inch varmint barrel setup, could maneuver much quicker for in house work. Barrel was 250 or so...but in barrels u get what u pay for. If you go looking into Gas Vs. Piston....think about ammo costs....piston setups require more pressure to operate and cheap ammo wont cut it. stick with gas at first. easier to modify and cheaper to feed. My Adams Arms piston set up was wonderful...when fed xm193, it absolutely hated white box ammo and dont even think of steel case...just no power to push the piston.
    I personally dont like kits. I like to pick what i want with out a company gathering parts for me. I may not want the barrel or another part in the kit...and i paid say 350 for the kit...now i gotta sell the part i dont want and spend the money to get the one i do want and or need. I like sitting down and logging time in magazines, internet dealers, local shops, and so on and so forth coming up with a grocery list of what i want. Then i go looking for the company/wholesaler who is having a sale...buy the piece of the week, and then move to the next. its the closest an adult can come to childhood...like a kid in the 80's sitting down and studying the montgomery wards christmas toy catalog...except our toys cost more. Think of an AR as your Man doll. you can dress it up get it naked and change its outfits often to suit the situation...if youre so inclined...you can sleep with it..thats on you...im not goin there...
    If you need help building or have more questions there are lots of us on here, including "shooter" who can point you in the right direction or lend a hand.
    -Ljungman
    Ps...some pics of my big build...

Last edited:

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Build the lower, buy a complete upper. That way you can make it the way you want and you will have a better understanding of the rifle and how its put together.

You can build the lower with regular household tools and youtube.com

If you chose to build... my only advice would be to figure out exactly what you want to do with the rifle. Is it for clearing houses? Is it a battle rifle for 100-400yd ranges... or is it a long range precision rifle that you want to put a nice scope on and shoot sub MOA groups out to 600+yds?

Kind of hard (and pointless) to build it unless you know exactly what you want.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I was going to build one until I found the deal at PSA for the M4 Patrol Carbine with Aimpoint PRO for $999.

I built mine... Well the lower anyways. I got started in January and figure I have about $100 more in it than if I were to start today. Still gotta tighten the castle nut and shoot it. It's a pain to get somewhere to shoot an AR around here, for me anyways.

But, if you can score that PSA deal you'd be hard pressed to beat it. The optic is worth $400ish which makes the rifle a real bargain.

triggerhappy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    I would buy rather than build. There's not much difference in the price anymore, plus you'll generally A) get a better resale value and B) have a warranty from the manufacturer.

+1 for your first AR, then later (with knowledge of your rifle) if you want something special you can build on or start from scratch

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    @lucky4034 i want the rifle for long range and clearing houses, as i said before be tough and reliable covered in mud and still shoot, i have alot of parts to look at and people to talk to, @ljunman nice rifle love the paint job hope mine turns out that awesome

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    Im using ar15builder.com has anybody ever used this? I like how i can see what i build, is this a good program to build my rifle or should i check out anyother sites?

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    IMHO if you don't know who/what/how and never had any experience with an AR is to BUY your first. And when you buy your first, don't go cheap.
    From my observations, those that don't know Jack, and "build" their first, usually buy low end parts because they don't know any better. Then this get's
    changed for that with no knowledge of why and the problems start.

Do a LOT of reading on all the AR forums you can, educate yourself what is out there in the market, what brands to trust and which ones to stay away from. The easiest thing to do is go to your local Walmart and buy a Colt 6920. If you end up not liking thr AR15 you'll have no trouble re-selling a Colt. Build one from various parts and then have/need/want to sell it, you'll take a good loss to move it.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Build your lower. Find a forget lower from a quality company. Spike's, Mega, PSA, etc. Search the PSA daily deals to complete.

Buy a complete upper from PSA or Aimsurplus.

Top Bottom