AR15 Conversion kit to .22lr, any good? Worth having?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sthunter987

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    Southern Johnson County
    So my son in law was up from Florida on some family business this week and he wanted to check out my AR15 because he got the "AR" bug recently. After looking mine over he informed me of this conversion kit. So here i am looking into it.

First off, I did the web search and found alot of info on this conversion kit. I also found Eskimos buy the most ice cream from the web too (believe what you like, lol). My point is the web is great reinforcing whatever you think if you look for it. I'm hoping for some real people who have this kit, used this kit or knowledge on this kit to lend a hand.

Does this kit really work that easy (change the charging handle and carrier bolt and off you go)? Is it worth owning this kit (I have 3 AR15s at the moment). Is it reliable? If so which manufacturer is the way to go?

I'm sure there's more questions I haven't thought of or questions I didn't mention so please feel free to add anything.

As usual thanks guys for your input.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I have a CMMG kit I’ve had for a few years. Probably have a couple thousand rounds through it. It has been fun and generally reliable. They have to make them somewhat loose to be a drop in fit in any 223/556 AR, so they can have some slop in your rifle.
    They are a simple swap, open up the AR, pull the bolt carrier drop the 22 conversion and shoot away. They will deliver good enough accuracy for close range drills and fun plinking. The bore of a 223 is slightly larger than .22lr bullets so you havw that. The twist rate isn’t really designed for the lighter 22 bullets either. I would advise against shooting through a 22 or 223 suppressor if you have one. I’ve shot mine with my 9mm cans and it was fine.
    22 can also gunk up your gas system, so if you plan on shooting a lot of 22lr in a session, I’d recommend swapping back to 223 and firing a magazpine of full power ammo every 500 rounds or so. I would definitely recommend shooting a magazine of 223 ammo through the gun when you are finished with 22lr to ensure it still functions properly if you use that AR for any kind of defensive purposes. It should take a lot of lr rounds to really cause issues with the gas system but it’s better safe than sorry.
    I have a mix of CMMG, and Black Dog magazines and they all work well, I even have a 50 round drum and it works well. I also have a Kel Tek SU-22 and it uses AR conversion mags so that’s why I have a larger number.
    I think it’s the black dog mags that have an extended follower that will hold the bolt open when it’s empty, but it won’t lock it back. I don’t think they’re is enough bolt travel to be able to use the standard bolt catch either. But your other functions will be the same on your AR.

Mason513

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2020
    NWI
    Like the poster before me, I have had a similar experience to him. Reliability was pretty good, but .22 runs dirty, is finicky sometimes and isn’t made for 1/7 twist barrels. I eventually went with the MP 15-22, great little gun.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    There really isn't that much money to be saved by going with an AR conversion vs buying a dedicated .22lr rifle.

My recommendation is that if you want to use .22lr in an AR platform, I'd skip the conversion kit and buy a rifle designed for .22lr from the beginning. The two best options (imo) are a Tippmann M4-22 Elite or M&P 15-22. I own both the Tippmann and M&P in .22lr and couldn't be happier. The Tippmann is more accurate than the M&P and would be my top choice (but either are very good firearms).

As was mentioned by Slow Hand and Mason513, the rifling on your 5.56/.223 AR barrel (1:7 or 1:8 usually) is not well-suited to making a .22lr fly straight (1:16 or 1:15 with Tippman and M&P, respectively).

Another issue is that once you set up your sights/optics on an AR platform in 5.56, it's not trivial to get it switched over to work with .22lr. Having a separate rifle for 5.56 and .22lr will eliminate the back-and-forth that would be necessary with using a conversion kit.

https://tippmannarms.com/dealer-portal/m4-22-rifles/firearms/

Good luck with your research!

Last edited:

binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    I bought the cmmg kit years ago at the 1500. I've used it a few times just for something different, but it mostly just sits on the shelf. It functions fine, came with 2 25rd mags that are a pain to load. The only ar I had to shoot it out of at the time was scoped and that was a pain too cause the poi was way off from where I had it sighted in for .223 rounds and I didnt feel like readjusting the scope every time. I honestly prefer to shoot dedicated .22 rifles over it but I recently thought about trying it out again just to see if my mood has changed on it. It is a neat idea, but I'd recomment having a decicated scope to swap with it or iron sights.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I have a CMMG kit I’ve had for a few years. Probably have a couple thousand rounds through it. It has been fun and generally reliable. They have to make them somewhat loose to be a drop in fit in any 223/556 AR, so they can have some slop in your rifle.
    They are a simple swap, open up the AR, pull the bolt carrier drop the 22 conversion and shoot away. They will deliver good enough accuracy for close range drills and fun plinking. The bore of a 223 is slightly larger than .22lr bullets so you havw that. The twist rate isn’t really designed for the lighter 22 bullets either. I would advise against shooting through a 22 or 223 suppressor if you have one. I’ve shot mine with my 9mm cans and it was fine.
    22 can also gunk up your gas system, so if you plan on shooting a lot of 22lr in a session, I’d recommend swapping back to 223 and firing a magazpine of full power ammo every 500 rounds or so. I would definitely recommend shooting a magazine of 223 ammo through the gun when you are finished with 22lr to ensure it still functions properly if you use that AR for any kind of defensive purposes. It should take a lot of lr rounds to really cause issues with the gas system but it’s better safe than sorry.
    I have a mix of CMMG, and Black Dog magazines and they all work well, I even have a 50 round drum and it works well. I also have a Kel Tek SU-22 and it uses AR conversion mags so that’s why I have a larger number.
    I think it’s the black dog mags that have an extended follower that will hold the bolt open when it’s empty, but it won’t lock it back. I don’t think they’re is enough bolt travel to be able to use the standard bolt catch either. But your other functions will be the same on your AR.
    ^this^

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Cmmg kit works decent for plinking. As others have noted, dirty and not as accurate as a dedicated 15-22. I also have the mp 15-22, and i think if you want to spend a little more (back in the good times) it was worth the money to just have a dedicated 22 AR.

themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Similar experiences with the CMMG, ran fine but had to keep it clean and wet. Did have malfunctions from it once when it got cruddy that resulted in it not functioning properly-resolved with a wipe down and oil

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The CMMG kit can be a great add-on for an AR owner. It lets you practice drills when full power ammo is expensive or hard to find. They are generally reliable enough to be worth having but as others have said, run them wet and clean the AR well when done

2ndamendlover1

Shooter
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 10, 2021
    Indianapolis
    So my son in law was up from Florida on some family business this week and he wanted to check out my AR15 because he got the "AR" bug recently. After looking mine over he informed me of this conversion kit. So here i am looking into it.

First off, I did the web search and found alot of info on this conversion kit. I also found Eskimos buy the most ice cream from the web too (believe what you like, lol). My point is the web is great reinforcing whatever you think if you look for it. I'm hoping for some real people who have this kit, used this kit or knowledge on this kit to lend a hand.

Does this kit really work that easy (change the charging handle and carrier bolt and off you go)? Is it worth owning this kit (I have 3 AR15s at the moment). Is it reliable? If so which manufacturer is the way to go?

I'm sure there's more questions I haven't thought of or questions I didn't mention so please feel free to add anything.

As usual thanks guys for your input.
    I have the cmmg 22lr conversion kit and it works just fine just slap the bolt in and load the mags and start plinking...it does get dirty but u expect that with 22.. its a great thing to get the kids out shooting

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    There really isn't that much money to be saved by going with an AR conversion vs buying a dedicated .22lr rifle.

My recommendation is that if you want to use .22lr in an AR platform, I'd skip the conversion kit and buy a rifle designed for .22lr from the beginning. The two best options (imo) are a Tippmann M4-22 Elite or M&P 15-22. I own both the Tippmann and M&P in .22lr and couldn't be happier. The Tippmann is more accurate than the M&P and would be my top choice (but either are very good firearms).

As was mentioned by Slow Hand and Mason513, the rifling on your 5.56/.223 AR barrel (1:7 or 1:8 usually) is not well-suited to making a .22lr fly straight (1:16 or 1:15 with Tippman and M&P, respectively).

Another issue is that once you set up your sights/optics on an AR platform in 5.56, it's not trivial to get it switched over to work with .22lr. Having a separate rifle for 5.56 and .22lr will eliminate the back-and-forth that would be necessary with using a conversion kit.

https://tippmannarms.com/dealer-portal/m4-22-rifles/firearms/

Good luck with your research!

I agree with this, and I bought a M&P 15-22

B40B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2020
    Valparaiso
    I also have/use the CMMG kit, have zero issues with it so far. I honestly reach for the 10/22 with a nice trigger if I ever want to really just plink with .22lr though...

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The beauty of the conversion over an upper or complete rifle is that it let's you run drills with the same trigger and optic as you would be using normally. That gives you more trigger time with your complete setup, not just a part of it.

The conversion is a training tool. Better options exist for general plinking but in a time of ammo scarcity, the conversion increases training while reducing the impact on your 5.56 ammo supply

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    The beauty of the conversion over an upper or complete rifle is that it let's you run drills with the same trigger and optic as you would be using normally. That gives you more trigger time with your complete setup, not just a part of it.

The conversion is a training tool. Better options exist for general plinking but in a time of ammo scarcity, the conversion increases training while reducing the impact on your 5.56 ammo supply

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

This is a great perspective and a valid point.

It's worth mentioning though, that I run the same trigger, optic, foregrip, buttstock/brace on my M&P 15-22 and Tippmann .22lr training platforms as my BCM and DD 5.56/300 blackout big boy guns.

The M&P 15-22 will take just about any AR trigger assembly. Same for Tippmann, although a little more selective. I use Larue and Geissele triggers primarily. Tippmann also has forward assist, if you like to train with that feature.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom