• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yote69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Logansport
    I purchased a used Krieger 223 barrel to build an upper. I am looking for a gas block and the size is .750. My question is if anyone can tell me what these two notches are in the bottom of the barrel. I assume they have something to do with the gas block but I haven't been able to find a gas block that isn't either a clamp on, set screw on the bottom or a pin style.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    They might be for a gas block/front sight that has opposing setscrews which allow for windage adjustment on the block itself. I believe PRI makes them.
    ThumbnailHandler.ashx

Typically, a barrel set up for such a gas block will have 4 dimples:
    SDM-screen.jpg

These were all the rage back in the early 2000s when everyone was doing "SPR" builds. If you aren't using such a block, you can ignore the barrel dimples.

Last edited:

Yote69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Logansport
    Thank you for the great information. What you describe makes perfect sense. Now I will have to figure out what options I have in gas blocks as I don't want a gas block/sight combo. Hopefully i can find something that is long enough and low profiled.

Thanks again!

racr28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 27, 2009
    Vincennes, IN
    Krieger makes a lot of their barrels for service rifle competition. The barrel dimples are there to mount a FSB than is adjustable for windage.

Here is an example of a FSB with set screws.

fsb_zpsc1af095a.jpg

Last edited:

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I had the front sight base above on my WOA barrel, but I replaced it with a gas block.

If you don't want to see those dimples, Stag Arms and RRA both make a railed clamp on gas block that is extended to cover those dimples or taper pin holes from a FSB.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    You'll like that barrel, I only had one from that company that would not shoot like a laser beam. Did you get it from Krieger directly or another supplier? How long did you have to wait for it?

Top Bottom