Greenfield
    pissing-contest.gif

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I didn't say that "I" couldn't hit at 500 meters nor was I staking a personal attack towards you.....I must qualify at 500 meters all the time...and regularly shoot well beyond that with an array of weapons.....
    I could care less if some random poster on a Forum is attacking me or not...

you have no knowledge of another man's health/eye sight capabilities no matter how "bad" you think yours is....everyone is different....I was merely offering friendly advise to a gentlemen who asked whom likewise, I don't know how his eyes are

on a further note, anyone can hit a "target" at 500 yards...i.e. How large is your target? Your reference leaves a wide range of knowledge open for interpretation......I shoot at "man sized" targets, just as the OP asked about and my original post said BEYOND 500 you will have trouble seeing both the sight and the man
    Yeah you are right. I guess the Hundreds of Soldiers I have trained and led have all had good eyesight and were gods at reading windage, distance, and elevation..

. I do not allow my Soldiers to even mount a CCO until I feel comfortable with them dropping Man Sized Silhouettes out to 500 Meters. Course I also did not let them leave the range before they could shot above a 36 out of 40 on the Pop Up Course. Am I a prick, of course I am. After all how else does one earn the title of SSG...
    my fundamentals don't need correction, your attitude does
    Perhaps your attitude is the flawed one?!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    12 hundred plus men gather at Camp Perry in Ohio every August for the National Championships. Using 75, 77 or 80 grain bullets and 8 twist or faster barrels, they effectively beat holes in targets with Iron sighted A2 service rifles. The targts "X" rings are roughly 6 inches and the 10 ring is roughly 12 inches. Scores of 198 to 200 with a high "X" count are pretty usual for Master Class and High Master class shooters. I would not select a .223 for combat at 600 yards if a good shooting M-14 was near by, but a skilled marksman can easily hit a torso with Irons at 600 yards.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    Before my vision went away I could easily hit a man sized target at 300yds.
    But sense my eyes are not what they used to be I have had to go to the scope.
    I can still hit at 100yds with irons, farther than that I'm wasting ammo.

sentinelrepublic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Noblesville
    Awsome input guys! I'll get out there and see how far I can go with Ironsights! As far as red dot goes for close quaters, I decided to go with a bushnell...I cant justify spending 600 on an eotech..
    I suppose if things get bad for the UN, I will have plenty of opportunities to pick up a military grade sight!

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    good choice....eotechs are not nearly as versatile as the ACOG...personally, I don't like them....but just practice and see what you can do without....for close quarter if you practice enough your shots will be on the mark mostly from just muscle memory and you will barely pay attention to your sights....more so further out....it just takes a lot of practice

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to configure my sights. I want one sight for long range and one sight for close quarters. Sounds like I can go Ironsights for 400 meters and red dot for 75 meters, etc,etc.
    Please let me know. I carry an AR with iron sights for work. I probably would shoot near that far out but I am interested.

Top Bottom