• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    First thing I would do it clean and lube it.

Then get some factory ammo, Fed, Win, etc.

Get a quality GI mag, Pmag, Lancer, etc.

Then try it.

As a poster above said, Bushmaster has a rep for out of spec stuff. Chambers, barrels, canted FSB's, etc. A crappy Bushmaster 12 years ago, is what prompted me to start building my own AR's.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    agree with others it sounds like a headspace problem, either tight chamber or ammo not resized consistently or fully. do try some good factory ammo, not reloads or "remanufactured," is always a good place to start.

mag shouldn't have anything to do with this. if it's related at all it's just because it's full and putting tension on the carrier slowing it down enough to not cram the round in there.

"mortaring" the gun won't shatter your stock. Pull hard on the handle with one hand while holding the gun muzzle-up with the other and give it a bump straight down. I usually use my knee to keep the gun out of the dirt. doesn't usually take much, especially in a case like this. you're just giving the carrier a little inertia to help pull the round/case out. better for the gun than prying w/ screwdrivers...

-rvb

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Safety note.

Whenever trying to clear a round by slamming the butt stock into the dirt, remember to take care and make sure no ones face would be in a bullet path, and be aware of where the bullet will land. While doing range officer duty, I prefer to use a tree or a heavy fence post so I could keep the muzzle pointed down.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    My first hard failure on my AR happened after shooting a bunch of Tula and the casing got stuck in the chamber. Could not get it out the usual way and had to break it down and because I was too dumb, ask someone to borrow their cleaning rod. A metal one. Thankfully a guy in the next lane is a Marine and I can always count on a Marine to have a cleaning rod for a rifle.

Last edited:

TacticalFun

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    Goshen
    I always mortar my rifles with no problems. Did it at home, in iraq etc. Brownells has a nice headspace tool and you will need an ejector tool. Also walmart sells trash cans big enough for the bushmaster. Im kidding!

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    My first hard faiurel on my AR happened after shooting a bunch of Tula and the casing got stuck in the chamber. Could not get it out the usual way and had to break it down and because I was too dumb, ask someone to borrow their cleaning rod. A metal one. Thankfully a guy in the next lane is a Marine and I can always count on a Marine to have a cleaning rod for a rifle.

SEMPER FI, at least we are USEFUL, for something !!!!!

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    ive seen that happen with reloaded ammo that wasnt sized correctly, it could also be a head space issue. but id check ammo first. the fact that it happend twice and it was the second round in the mag is probably just a coincidence. i cant see the mag causeing that. most likely a chamber issue or just ammo sizeing. ive had that happen with facory ammo also. and sometimes it cant be a real pain getting the round out of chamber.

Nicr1991

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    I haven't gotten a chance to take my rifle out and see if I can replicate the issue or if extra oil fixes the issue. It is interesting though that I was watching an episode of NOIR on youtube a few days after it happened and it looked like one of the shooters had the same malfunction that I did. Here's a link, it happens around 14:30. https://youtu.be/p1wXIinLlGk

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I had the exact same problem with an Smith & Wesson AR15. I sent it back to S&W and they replaced the bolt and did some work to the barrel. It worked perfect when I got it back.
    Just send it back to the manufacturer, it is apparently a common issue, because when I called S&W customer service they said that they needed to fix it and was aware of what the problem could be.
    Good Luck!!

Top Bottom