• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hiserman79

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Madison
    Hi all, I saved my nickels and dimes and right about the time the ar became the most hated scary gun the anti gunners ever seen I had just enough to buy one. Well a month later I acquired (at a fair price $1000?) (will acquire arrives next week) a CMMG 16in Flat top. I have to admit I know very little regarding Ar 15's in general. Naturally I want to turn it into my adult Lego set :rockwoot: I just need to be pointed in the right direction any suggestions, any resources would be great. It's a 16in chrome lined flat top with free floating tube. I don't even know what free floating tube means. Either way coming out of the box it's kinda plain Jane and I want to make it ooh and ahh worthy while practical to use and as scary lookin as Fienstien :patriot: . Thanks all and please with the help small words I am very new to this forum and the Ar platform.

Signal23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Greenwood
    Less is more, don't pile crap on just cause u can.
    A good light, aimpoint scope, sling, iron sights and you are ready for battle
    Good luck

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Might want to save that money on accessories and use it for a basic carbine class or other AR training. I well placed bullet is more scary then any junk you put on the rifle. :twocents:

anifong

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Marshall County, IN
    Right there with you, brother! I just bought a used Colt to get familiar with the platform, and to start with something solid and reliable, however I'm hoping to get my hands on a lower or two and build a couple for my kids. Love seeing the info out there for those of us getting started. Good luck!

Hiserman79

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Madison
    Thanks, I do intend to learn all I can regarding the ar. The scary as Fienstien was more of a jab no wait shot at her lol. My main concern is are all AR's basically the same with most or all handguards, iron sights, stocks etc being easily interchanged? I don't intend to add 20lbs and a Swiss Army knife to it but I just don't want to end up with somthing that says fits on Ar15 to discover it is manufacture specific etc I do want it to have "sexy parts" have ever my main focus will be the function in the event of all hell breaking loose.

xHwyLT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Monroe
    Might want to save that money on accessories and use it for a basic carbine class or other AR training. I well placed bullet is more scary then any junk you put on the rifle. :twocents:
    JollyMon got it 100% correct, the M-4 type, which I assume you purchased based on the 16" barrel, was made for CQB, the lightness of the rifle, and the red dot sights allowed for quick reaction time. If you add all the extraneous BS, your just defeating the purpose of the M4. At most I would also add a light.

Two-Tornadoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Where everybody knows my name
    Hi all, I saved my nickels and dimes and right about the time the ar became the most hated scary gun the anti gunners ever seen I had just enough to buy one. Well a month later I acquired (at a fair price $1000?) (will acquire arrives next week) a CMMG 16in Flat top. I have to admit I know very little regarding Ar 15's in general. Naturally I want to turn it into my adult Lego set :rockwoot: I just need to be pointed in the right direction any suggestions, any resources would be great. It's a 16in chrome lined flat top with free floating tube. I don't even know what free floating tube means. Either way coming out of the box it's kinda plain Jane and I want to make it ooh and ahh worthy while practical to use and as scary lookin as Fienstien :patriot: . Thanks all and please with the help small words I am very new to this forum and the Ar platform.

Nothing's as scary as Fienstein :laugh: Except the bill she is trying to get passed. In all seriousness, I'm with you on being new to the AR. Looking for options myself.

Hiserman79

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Madison
    The forward hand guard is round smooth and plain. I want to add a diferent one, not one with 8 million Pictanny rails but somthing differnt. Does he free floating tube (still no clue what that is) affect the type of hand guard that can be used?

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    A free floating hand guard is a hand guard that doesn't touch the barrel, thus improving accuracy at longer ranges. Some claim they can start see the difference between free floating and non floating at anywhere between 75-200 yards. If I were building an AR and had an unlimited budget, I would use a free floating handguard and have it extend as far up the barrel as I can (Noveske NSR-13.5 Keymod Customizable Free Float Handguard 13.5 AR-15), troy also makes a good one. My Reason would be to extend the surface you can use to rest the firearm on whether against a bench or tree. But then again everyone has different opinions on what makes an AR better.

Hiserman79

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Madison
    Well, the free loating hand guard is exactly as it sounds and promplty shows how "new" I am to AR's. I tried to avoid BRD, but I really tired to cure it with ak47 and sks shots but alas there is no vacanation to prevent BRD. Thanks eveyone and yeah I noticed Ar-15.com isnt very welcoming. I am going to check out the link for the build party now.

surferfox72

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Jul 26, 2009
    south bend
    oh wow....a new toy! Foregrip, quad rail, light, hologragh scope...the list goes on...but first, stock up on ur clips, replacement parts, etc...never know what big brother has up there sleeve

Hiserman79

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Madison
    I'm actually just thrilled the price is coming back down, granted @1000 I'm paying bout 100 more than I would have a couple months ago but it's either pay a little more now or wait 6-9 months and dang it I've waited long enough!

Top Bottom