• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phoenix1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Greenwood
    Hi folks. I bought an M&P AR15 and don't want to remove the A2 front sight just yet. I'm thinking of trying a micro reflex sight mounted offset when the gun is in home defense mode. Any advice on this setup? I use a scope for range duty mounted on a quick release riser mount. Thanks in advance.

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Here's how I would do it. Leave the front sight alone, add red dot on top, add flip up rear iron sight for backup.

There's not a real good reason to have a scope on a rifle like that to me. A good red dot sight will work great for range and home. Save the scope for another rifle.

What red dot are you using?

Phoenix1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Greenwood
    Right now, I have a flip up rear sight and a TruGlo 2x "scope". I intentionally bought a cheap 2x scope to see how I like the red dot for 100 yard shooting. After thinking about it a bit, I may just run a reflex co-witnessed to my iron sights, leaving off the scope when at home.

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I don't really like multitasking my guns that play an HD role mainly because if I am practicing with a gun that will be for HD then I want to use it in that setup and get used to it. That's why I say to just leave the rifle in HD config and learn it every chance you get. I've used my Aimpoint PRO out to 100 without much issue with a smaller bullseye target, man-sized targets will be no problem.

That Tru-Glo seems like an ok sight for plinking but for serious use, I would recommend saving for something solid like Aimpoint, EOTech or other quality red dot sights. Anytime I hear that a weapon will be used for HD, I lean heavily towards quality gear and training how you plan to fight.

Top Bottom