• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Aermet100.... It's almost an insult to call that stuff "steel"-- people don't appreciate just how much better than plain steel that stuff is.

JJFII

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2018
    Anderson
    Uh, what? I'm guessing you've never heard of KAC's E3 bolt or LMT's enhanced bolts. I have both. The KAC has a 20,000rd warranty on the bolt. The LMT is made of Aermet 100.

LMT
    LMT_Enhanced_Full-Auto_Bolt_Carrier_Group_L7Q3_E.jpg

KAC E3
    e3-spare-bolt.jpg

Not putting that down..its awesome sauce, but its proprietary. I dont see a reason to go off the reservation and stay on the Ar15 platform. The Ar15 is about throwing a rock and hitting 25 places selling gear for it. If I am going to use a tool that makes my AR15 not an AR15, then I'm going with a completely different weapon.

Armalite no longer allows access to their Tech Notes...not sure when that happned, maybe my links are just dead and they are moved... This ia the best explaination of the Armalite Bolt I could find.

The AR-15 bolt can be thought of as starting with eight lugs around its circumference. One is cut away to provide room for the extractor. During firing, this asymmetry causes the bolt to warp slightly due to uneven support and put approximately 80% of the force load on the two lugs adjacent to the extractor. It's no surprise that the majority of bolt lug failures occur at one of these two lugs. ArmaLite's solution is to balance the force by only using
    six of the seven lugs for load-bearing, restoring symmetry under load. This change is accomplished by simply shortening the back of the lug opposite the extractor so it does not engage the barrel extension. ArmaLite's engineering study determined that this change alone reduces the stress on the two problem lugs by about 40%.

Link to an article referencing what I am talking about. Back to Basics: The ArmaLite M15A2 Infantry Rifle

Top Bottom